Operating System - Linux
1753380 Members
5537 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO perl scripting to interface with nagios

frank.smith

ILO perl scripting to interface with nagios

I have been working with the check_ilo2_health.pl script and have hit a brick wall. I then created a much simpler perl script that simply logs into ILo and parses the possible commants to it. Although I have succesfully been able to get the GET_HOST_POWER_STATUS, GET_HOST_POWER_SAVER_STATUS, (all the GET_HOST commands) and the GET_ALL_USERS to work successfully, the command I really wanted to get to work (GET_EMBEDDED_HEALTH) always fails with the MESSAGE='Syntax error: Line #0: syntax error near "" in the line: ""'.

Here is my scripted commands:

print $client '' . "\r\n";

print $client '
' . "\r\n";

print $client '
' . "\r\n";
print $client '
' . "\r\n";
print $client '
' . "\r\n";

If I put the command:

just before the SERVER_INFO line, (where it belongs) it will give me the syntax error.

Is there a jumper that needs to be set or some administrative setting I am missing here? All I want to do is have this spit me out parsable info that I can then send to nagios to prevent failures. All the post I have seen don't seem to fix this. What am I missing?

Thank you for any considerations here.

6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What OS are you running? I don't think it is MPE.
frank.smith

The OS should not be important as this is a perl script, but I am running Centos 5.1 with all the perl modules needed (installed with cpan) installed and configured correctly. Here is some more info on this.

Some additional commands work, and some don't. This leads me to believe, is this (the CHECK_EMBEDDED_HEALTH command) an ILo 2 command and it does not work with ILo1? If this is the case, is there an ILo1 command for doing basically the same thing? (checking fan condition, temperature of the system, etc)
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The OS should not be important as this is a perl script

ILO and perl have little to do with MPE and therefor you probably won't get any answers. (You wouldn't put this in a printers forum would you?) I'll ask the moderators to move this to linux.
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Though I do use Nagios to monitor our stuff with quite a few custom plug-ins,
I have never used your ILO plug-in.
Doesn't the plug-in's documentation (or at least ./check_* --help) hint how to retrieve the state information that you require?
Maybe your tinkered up print statements don't produce the valid XML that the ILO server's firmware expects?
Have you thought about using one of the many Perl XML modules to format your XML string?
Madness, thy name is system administration
Fred Jupiter

Hello,
I have the same problem, ILO1 didnt't have the command get_embedded_health.
Somebody knows another way?
Thanks
Fred
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

iLO1 does not feature embedded health so there's no point to querying for it.