3714 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ISO images merge into DVD

Nido
Trusted Contributor

ISO images merge into DVD

Hi,
I want to create bootable DVD from ISO images.
I found some of the threads in google which talk about using mkisofs.
I'm getting follow error: Please suggest.

lnx04:/data1/iso # mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "ServerCD" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /data1/iso/RHEL4.iso /data1/iso
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs 2.01a27 (i686-suse-linux)
Scanning /data1/iso
mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory 'boot/isolinux'!
" Let Villagers Be Happy!! "
7 REPLIES 7
Jon Gomersall
Advisor

try looking at the information in the following URL

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_35_10054.shtm
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

You're trying to write the boot catalog to directory /boot/isolinux on your DVD image. To do that successfully, that directory must exist in your ISO image source data.

In other words:
mkdir -p /data1/iso/boot/isolinux

and try again.

By the way, writing the new RHEL4.iso into the /data1/iso directory might not be a very good idea.

Your mkisofs command says "put all the content of /data1/iso into the ISO image located in /data1/iso/RHEL4.iso". That includes the RHEL4.iso file itself, so when the mkisofs starts to pack it into the image file, the file grows bigger as fast as mkisofs is reading it and the operation can never finish successfully.

I'm not sure, maybe mkisofs is smart enough to avoid this trap automatically... but if it isn't, you should create your .iso image somewhere else. For example:
mkisofs ... -o /data1/RHEL4.iso /data1/iso

MK
MK
Nido
Trusted Contributor

MK,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm able to run mkisofs but the image is not bootable.

iso image got booted but stuck on boot prompt with error message "Could not find kernel image: linux"

Any suggestion for it.

Jon: I've not yet tried your suggestion.
Thanks,
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

This is something I wrote up a long time ago. It may have some helpful info.

Creating a RedHat installation DVD from the CD ISO files.

I found a website that does a good job of explaining how to create one big, DVD targeted, ISO file.

What is shown below is an edited version of http://www.harkness.co.uk/other/RHEL4_custom_dvd.html. The original shows how to add more to the anaconda install scripts. I just wanted the ISO. That way I can boot the from DVD, answer the questions, and walk away. You can actually modify the configuration of the Client machine CD to point to an ISO files.

How to create a single DVD from multiple CD ISO files. This has been edited down to its simplest form. The original link explains how to add things to the anaconda list.

Setting up the build directory:

The first thing to do is to copy all the cdrom ISOs to one location:

mkdir -p /mnt/disk{1,2,3,4}

mount -o loop RHEL4-U1-i386-AS-disc1.iso /mnt/disk1

mount -o loop RHEL4-U1-i386-AS-disc2.iso /mnt/disk2

mount -o loop RHEL4-U1-i386-AS-disc3.iso /mnt/disk3

mount -o loop RHEL4-U1-i386-AS-disc4.iso /mnt/disk4

We now copy all the files from the directories to a single directory:

mkdir -p /data/isobuild

rsync -rv /mnt/disk{4,3,2,1}/* /data/isobuild/ (Note: I didn't use the rsync command. I just copied the files from the "/RedHat/RPMS" directory.)

We also need to copy across the .diskinfo file that is not caught by our *:

cp /mnt/disk1/.diskinfo /data/isobuild/

The .diskinfo file identifies the CD as being a correct Red Hat Installer disk and is checked by anaconda during the start of the install. This file needs to be edited to add the other disks. The line that has just a ├в 1├в should be changed to ├в 1,2,3,4├в .

Building the DVD iso

Now to build the iso:

cd /data/isobuild

chmod a+w isolinux/isolinux.bin

mkisofs -r -T -J -V "Put_The_Name_you_Want_Displayed_Here" \

-b isolinux/isolinux.bin \

-c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \

-boot-info-table -o filedescriptor.iso /data/isobuild/

Nido
Trusted Contributor

To Mr. Serviceguard for Linux,
thanks for your suggestion, procedure didn't work completely, as system booted from the created ISO image but installation got stuck in need of 2nd iso disk.

This solution is as same as concatinating all files. Do you have any suggestion to fix the problem.
Thanks,
Nido
Trusted Contributor

To Serviceguard for Linux,
thanks for your suggestion, procedure didn't work completely, as system booted from the created ISO image but installation got stuck in need of 2nd iso disk.

This solution is as same as concatinating all files. Do you have any suggestion to fix the problem.
Thanks,
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

First, I assume that you are doing this for RH4 since RH5 delivers DVDs.

There is part of my reply that is unclear because of the want it was reformatted. The file .diskinfo needs to have in it 1,2,3,4

Normally this file is different on each CD and has the CD number. I think if it is asking for CD2 then this file may not have been updated correctly.