2768 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Identify/Configure SAN in RHEL 5

MSwift
Regular Advisor

Identify/Configure SAN in RHEL 5

Greetings!

We have a rhel 5 server (which we are re-imaging by installing the rhel5). SAN team says the storage is already connected to the server. I have good experience in HP-UX but new to linux. I am going to install powerpath and configure SAN. My question is

1. How do i know that the server can see the SAN disks?

2. is there any documented way to see and configure the SAN using Powerpath or Linux DMM(Device-mapper-multipth)

3. Also how would i configure the Multipath on SAN in RHEL5?

Thanks in advance. Please Help..

Regards

Mike.
5 REPLIES 5
AnthonySN
Respected Contributor
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

1. fdisk -l ?
fibre utilities supplied by either HP PSP or hba vendor

2. powerpath and multipath do the same thing. either use on or the other but not both.

3. see #2

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

1.) The methods in previous answers are OK, but RHEL 5 has another tool which might be useful: the lsscsi command.

It is an optional package: if you didn't specifically choose it during OS installation, it won't be on your system. But if your system is registered to RedHat Network, installing it is very simple: just type "yum install lsscsi".

The lsscsi command will display a simple listing that contains the device type (disk. cd/dvd, tape, other), its bus location in the SCSI scheme (controller:bus:target:lun), the vendor and product identification strings, device firmware versions and the pathnames of the device nodes (e.g. /dev/sda). With this command, it is easy to identify which devices are local disks and which are SAN LUNs.

For example, if you have an EMC storage system, the lsscsi output will show the model name of the storage system (like DMX, SYMMETRIX or whatever) on each LUN that has been presented from that storage system.

2.) You already got the link for dm-multipath documentation from RedHat.
On the other hand, Powerpath is an EMC product, so you should find its documentation from EMC.

The documentation for all EMC products is available in the EMC Powerlink website (http://powerlink.emc.com). You must register to access it. Basic registration is free; but if you provide an EMC product serial number or EMC support agreement ID when you register, you will be able to download updates for your EMC products for as long as the support agreement remains valid.

EMC also publishes documents called "Connectivity Guides" through the Powerlink website. For example, the Linux Connectivity Guide includes all the necessary storage-side settings, Linux basic procedures and suggested settings for both Powerpath and dm-multipath. If you have an EMC storage system at your site, I think you should read the appropriate Connectivity Guide for your OS.

MK
MK
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

just goes to show that every day you learn something new...

I have been using the vendor command line tools but this is much better.

Thanks Matti !!

MSwift
Regular Advisor

Thanks!!

I do not have the lsscsi command now, but i would install it..Thanks again.

Thanks

Mike