108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Idle time using sar is 0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

Idle time using sar is 0

What are some things I can check for this?System is responding slower than normal for login, bdf and some other things. Sar shows idle time is 0 and the rest of the output is listed below....
10:02:18 %usr %sys %wio %idle
10:02:22 13 10 78 0
10:02:26 18 13 69 0
10:02:30 13 10 77 0
10:02:34 15 14 71 0
10:02:38 10 8 82 0
10:02:42 7 8 85 0
10:02:46 20 12 68 0
10:02:50 10 9 81 0
10:02:54 17 19 63 0
10:02:58 10 11 79 0

Average 13 11 75 0
22 REPLIES 22
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor

Re: Idle time using sar is 0

hi

idle time 0 means ur CPU is 100% utilised fm sar o/p it is is teling some process is waiting for IO/ so please check what is the process which is using CPU using 'top'
if ur having glance it will give good picture

CTK
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

You are I/O bound. What sort of disk is on the system, an array or JBOD? Are you seeing any disk related errors in the syslog?

Do an "iostat 1 5" to see which disks are getting pounded. You may have a run-away application process. If your system is hosting a database, you may have had someone doing a large query, or perhaps they typo'd the input and are selecting a data range that includes all the data in the tables they are querying against instead of just a subset.

HTH
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Simply run 'top' and look for the hogs. You may simply have a very busy system or you may have a few runaway processes.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathleen:

The idle time 0% means the system CPU is fully utilized this time. The sar output shows a high I/O waiting too ! I would suggest you to check the system with GlancePlus:

# gpm

Also run 'top' for better process/process status. These are the tools which you could use:

# top
# vmstat
# swapinfo
# sar -d 1 10

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Kathleen
Regular Advisor

The output of top is attached....

Kathleen
Regular Advisor

The output of
# vmstat
# swapinfo
# sar -d 1 10

is attached....
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Kathleen,

The top output you have attached is the first page only. There are 54 more pages like that.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor

hi

Now the top o/p is showing normal. nothing extraordinary.this time i assume that your system is working fine.

see what you have to do is when u feel that ur system is really slow. just check the again the top output and do a sar -u 1 100 so that you can find out what is the process which is loading the CPU (waiting for IO).

CTK
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The output of top shows that the machine is barely being used. That's the problem with simple tools like top or sar--they take a snapshot of a very complex system and for the picture given in the top output, the system is 25% idle. Now it does indicate 40% system overhead which is directly related to I/O and other system calls but no classic Unix tools will show this data very well.

The original sar output with 0% idle may have meant that 2-3 users all decided to run du / at the same time, causing massive I/I ans system overhead to calculate disk usage.

You really need a better tool like Glance to show you what the system is really doing. It's on your Application CDs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin