cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Warning

Waqar Razi
Regular Advisor

Ignite Warning

We have a 10.20 server and we are getting a warning in taking the ignite backup on the tape with the following message in the recovery.log file:

* Preparing to create a system archive
lifls(open): No such device or address
lifls: Can't list /dev/dsk/c5t6d0; file not opened
WARNING: /dev/dsk/c5t6d0 is not a lif volume.
No LIF files on the boot disk will be archived.
Check /stand/bootconf, man bootconf(4), and /dev/dsk to
make sure that the bootconf file is set up correctly.
WARNING: /dev/dsk/c5t6d0 is not a lif volume.
No LIF files on the boot disk will be archived.
Check /stand/bootconf, man bootconf(4), and /dev/dsk to
make sure that the bootconf file is set up correctly.

* Archiving contents of APPLE via tar image to local device/dev/rmt/2mn.
Broken pipe
cat: Cannot write to output.
* Creation of system archive complete

Can some one please give me an idea.
6 REPLIES
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite Warning

can u just tell if the root disk is mirrored and also can u attach vgdisplay -v vg00, strings /etc/lvmtab lvlnboot -v and cat /stand/bbotconf file?
What seems is that one of the boot disks is not properly configured.

Please give the requested O/ps

If that is so u might need to update the /stand/bootconf and might need to run the mkboot -a hpux on the disk.

the O/Ps requested shall give a clearer pic.

regards

Sujit
Waqar Razi
Regular Advisor

Please find attached the output if the indicated commands:
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

as ur lvlnboot and the vg00 display tells that ur system has 2 disks in the vg00 that is root VG and that both are with all LVs mirrored and seem to be bootbale.

Seeing at ur standbootconf i think u will have to edit this file and put the entries for the boot disks there.

#vi /stand/bootconf -- and the following lines commenting the existing one.
#l /dev/dsk/c5t6d0
l /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
l /dev/dsk/c2t6d0

save and exit. the first character in the Lines of /stand/bootconf is small "L" and not 1(one).

do an #lvlnboot -R
do not worry it will not harm ur running system.

now take an ignite, that will be successful hopefully if not any other issues is there.

regards

Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

please do not forget to assign the points if the solution turns to give u some clue to solve ur prob helps u immensely

Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

did ur problem get resolved ? are u able to take the Ignite backup of the system ???

regards

Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Waqar,

In case of the systems where there is mirroring done on the root VG and that /stand/bootconf and lvlnboot is not consistent u are likely to face these errors from the Ignite.

In that case u need to update the /stand/bootconf and lvlnboot properly on the system that u want to take an ignite backup.

Like a problem that i faced in performing an ignite backup on tape for an 11.23 system which had one of the root disk failed.

I was allowed to take an ignite only when i removed the unavailable mirror components of the exixting LVs using
#lvreduce -m 0 -k /dev/vg00/lvol1 0
#vgreduce -f /dev/vg00
#lvlnboot -R

the system had the root disk mirror that had a PV Key 0 that was showing stale as the disk had failed.

then only i could take an Ignite of the System.

Later on when i shall need to add a disk to the system i will need to mirror that starting from the scratch with on the new disk doing all pvcreate -B and creating all the 3 Partitions EFI, HPUX and HPSP( I have an Integrity System that is why i need to create the 3 Parttitions as said) and follow all the steps doing that.

last of all when the LVs on the new disk are mirrored i will have to do an

#lvlnboot -R

Add the entry of the root disk again to the /stand/bootconf and properly do a setboot to achieve that disk to be set as an Alternate path

Thanks and Regards

sujit