108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite a server from a tape drive on a network connected server

SOLVED
Go to solution
B Wade Moll
Frequent Advisor

Ignite a server from a tape drive on a network connected server

Is it possible to ignite a server from a network connected server which has a tape drive ?

I have connected through the ILO of a server. It has HP-UX on it (it's been in use by another team which no longer needs it). I'm on as root and have established a network connection and can log in a server which has a tape drive.

Can I use that drive to ignite this box with the image that's on the tape on server 2?
4 REPLIES 4
Analyst
Trusted Contributor
Solution

1.Its possible ,While booting go for the options ,boot from media - choose the tape drive .

2.If you are trying to ignite over network, the server and the client should be in same subnet.

john123
Trusted Contributor

Ignite only work with locally visible tape drives, Or u can use make_net_recovery to an NFS shared FS.

Regards
John
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

It will be easier to use the remote server as ignite boot server instead of the remote tape.

After the boot up, you might need to modify file /var/opt/ignite/INDEX to find the .cfg file, which points the tape driver. Although I am not sure it is possible.
B Wade Moll
Frequent Advisor

Ok, so it's not a straightforward process on the ia64 servers to boot from a network IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xx at 0/5/1/1.1.0 ?

That's really all I need to do ...

Thank you everyone that has helped so far...