108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite make_recovery test

SOLVED
Go to solution
Xavier Izquierdo
Occasional Contributor

Ignite make_recovery test

We have successfully created an Ignite make_recovery tape for an HPK260 running HPUX10.20. However, now we want to test if we can successfully boot from the tape. Does anyone know how to test the validity of the tape, and if we can boot from the tape without making an actual restore. Note that we only have one system to work with which makes it difficult to test. I have read the instructions/manual but it only references making a complete vg00 restore from the tape. Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yoe can boot from the recovery tape without making any changes to the system. To test the remainder of the tape.
1) mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn rew (rewind tape)
2) mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1 (forward tape 1 marker)
3) cd /tmp
4) tar xvf /dev/rmt/0mn etc/passwd

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

You can boot with the tape to the point where it shows you disk layout. Exit at this point, even if you go further, it will recognise that an OS is already existing on the volume group (vg00). You can quit at this point.

Cheers!
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Eddie Warren
Valued Contributor

Just be careful when you boot the make_recovery tape. Make sure you are watching it and halt it (10 Second delay) before it attempts to restore without user intervention. Another way you can tell if the tape is bootable, is when you halt the boot process. Do "sea ipl", this will show all bootable media.
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Xavier,

in addition to Brian Fisher's list of commands, I would recommend
to read the whole table of contents of the tape, and compare it to
the list of files to be saved (use option "-C" for make_recovery then):
mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn rew
mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1
tar tv > /tmp/list-of-files
diff /tmp/list-of-files /var/opt/ignite/LIST-OF-FILES

well, I cannot remember the name of the file in the
/var/opt/ignite directory, and I am not at an HP-UX system
right noew, but you may read it form the man-page.