New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite server with external tape drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sp4admin
Trusted Contributor

Ignite server with external tape drive

Hello,

I have a question about igniting a server. I have a T10K tape that contains the ignite image from another site. I have a Blade which has a fibre switch connected to the enclosure. The switch is connected to another switch (ISL) connected to a STK Sl8500 tape Library and uses the ACSLS to control the library. I understand how to cable everything up, I'm just not sure how to point to the tape path. This is the first time I have used an external tape device to ignite a server.

Blade 870c
O/S 11.31
Netbackup 6.5
ACSLS
STK 4100 silk worm

Thanks in advance,
SP,
5 REPLIES 5
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I am not sure what type of machine you are using (hence don't know if you are using EFI or the old style boot screen) but the only way I know on the PA-RISC machines is, when you inteerupt the boot sequence, and type search, your machine should be able to find this tape drive for he tape boot to work. More than likely, if the tape is at the end of a long chain of fibre and scsi interfaces, your chances of finding it is pretty slim in my opinion but try the search option at the main boot screen and see if you can reach this tape drive.

The server is a Integrity. There is no search option as in the PA-RISC. My question is how to tell the server which path to boot from.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

at the EFI boot menu screen, select "Boot Option Maintenance Menu". On some systems this appears as "Boot Configuration". In this menu select the "Boot from a file" option, and then look for the HW path of your tape drive. This is a little tricky, you must figure out the correct path to the tape. After that navigate to the partition's FAT32 FS and select the hpux.efi kernel loader.

Unix operates with beer.
vaishakh k
Advisor

Hai ,

First of all you just check the hardware path for tape drive.
Then during hpux booting you will get the EFI shell .
In EFI boot manager you have an option like Boot option maintenence menu.
Throuh these by giving the tape hardware adress it will copy the os image to server.
Sp4admin
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, I got it now.

sp,