New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite, swinstall and swremove

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Harwood
Occasional Advisor

Ignite, swinstall and swremove

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade Ignite from version 7.7.98 to 7.9.261 on HP-UX 11.31. I have already downloaded the relevant depot files and made them available.

I have successfully installed the new software on a test server using the TUI "graphical" interface.

After performing the upgrade, I would like to be able to have the option to rollback to the previous version. I assumed that swremove would do this for me.

However, swremove completely removed the Ignite software rather than roll it back to the previous version.

I suspect that I've missed an option somewhere as I'm sure this can be done, can anybody advise how?

Also, can anybody confirm whether an Ignite server running on the new version can handle ignite "client" make_net_recovery files created at the lower version (i.e. will all my client backups become useless once I've upgraded the server?).

Many thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi

an ignite server with a newer version og Ignite-ux can handle easily the make_net_recovery images as created by a previous older version og ignite.

actually that is the purpose of ignite-ux upgrade for upgarde.

upgrade of ignite-ux version does not alter the files in /var/opt and /etc/opt ignite folders.

regards
sujit
Javed Khan_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

if you need option of rollback you will need to swremove new version and install old version from depot.

Javed
Never Give Up
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi David:

Patches, not products have rollback information preserved. Since the Ignite website only offers the most currrent Ignite, you would be wise to keep your Application DVDs and/or whenever you download a new Ignite version, retain that depot for potential reinstallation.

Regards!

...JRF...
David Harwood
Occasional Advisor

OK, to sumarise...

If I want to go back to the previous version of Ignite, I need to remove the update and then re-install from an older depot.

Once I've upgraded, the existing make_net_recovery images on my Ignite server will remain valid/usable.

Thanks all :-D
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Or take an Ignite backup before installing any new software - including a new version of Ignite!!

Pete

Pete
David Harwood
Occasional Advisor

All, thanks for your responses.