5602 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Inbound Email and Setup and Domain Modifications

SHJ_2
Regular Advisor

Inbound Email and Setup and Domain Modifications

Dear All,

I am setting up these the inbound email configuration for one of our clients. We are using an application which will be receiving and sending emails to particular users.

Now my question is that once the email is sent it goes with the email address "svrmgr@tpsm..com.pk".

Now once we reply the exchange server gives the error that address/domain does not exist which is quite reasonable I think.

Anyways now I have consulted my IT Team and they say that it is needed to create an alias for your email address which should be svrmgr@. Kindly please can you let me know from where i can make these modifications? As far as I know I will need to do some modifications in sendmail.cf. Please your urgent assist will really help me out.

Thanks and Best Regards.
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

You need to look into enabling the "Kvirtuser" table option. Every mailbox in exchange needs to have an entry in this table. You alias the desktop login username that exchange uses such as "jdoe" to a formal internet style email address "john.doe@yourcompany.com". After enabling the table in sendmail.cf you create the table as a text file and then compile it with makemap as in "makemap hash virtusertable < virtusertable.txt"

There are other tables that control the sendmail behavior. Here is a good summary
http://www.sendmail.org/tips/virtualHosting

Setting this environment is trivial, maintaining can be a nightmare.
SHJ_2
Regular Advisor

Hi TTr,

Thanks for your reply. As I am guy from Software side so it will take few more time for me to digest these concepts.

Anyways there are few concepts which i would like to clear.

Actually I am working with HP Open View Service Manager from which you can send and receive emails notification from any of the application modules from the address just mentioned above. Now for inbound emails we need to send the emails back to the same address or what we can do is to map the address to an address which can be understood by company's Exchange Server.

Now for this I need to understand the method that you have told will the mails be delivered to the machine and more specifically the address this machine understands ( svrmgr@tpsm.)?

Kindly explain. Thanks for your earlier reply.
TTr
Honored Contributor

I see the situation now. There are several ways to deal with this depending on how the email flow is now.
What server is the OV running on and how does it send emails to exchange? Does OV submit the emails to the local SMTP service on the same server or does it connect to the Exchange SMTP directly? If it uses local SMTP then you can set up masquerading on the local SMTP server so that the emails appear as if they are sent from svrmgr@.com.pk. This is done by using the "DM" setting in sendmail.cf. But in this case the reply would be sent back to an exchange mailbox and not the the server where OV is running on. Typically this is fine for most environments.
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1174925

To send email back to the OV server you either have to work within exchange to make it aware of the server name or do some kind of routing on the server that exchange is using to send email out. I do not know anything about internal exchnage configuration.