108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Increasing Volume group size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy Durden
Frequent Advisor

Increasing Volume group size

I have a HP UX 11.11 machine that has a mounted drive that points towards a LUN coming off of a NETAPP storage unit. The LUN was 20G in size, but I had to increase it to 60G in size. How do I get my mount file system to recognize the new size?
36 REPLIES 36
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You need to vgremove/vgcreate. If you had made a new, separate LUN, you could have used vgextend.

Pete

Pete
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

With 11.11 you can only backup your data, delete the VG and recreate.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

You can't on HP-UX 11.11 (at least not with supported tools anyway) - a reboot would allow the kernel to see the new size of the disk, but the LVM structures on the disk cannot be changed with standard customer tools.

Better to set the disk size back to what it was, and then present another 2 x 20GB LUNs. You can then vgextend the volue group and then lvextend the logical volume with the filesystem on it. How you resize the filesystem depends on whether you have OnlineJFS or not.

In 11.23 and 11.31 there is a tool to change LVM structures on disk in the form of the "vgmodify" command. This was never officially back-ported to 11.11, although unsupported versions do exist... using unsupported tools on your data is not something I would consider.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
TTr
Honored Contributor

With 11.11 you are out of luck. You can not change the disk size without pvcreating it. Your mountpoint is two levels above that. First you have the disk, then the volume and then the filesystem(mountpoint).

What you could have done would be to add a separate LUN (say 40GB) and then extend the volume on the new LUN/disk and then extend the filesystem.

What you should do now is to backup your current 20GB and create the volume again with the new size (60GB) and then restore the original 20GB of data.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

At the time when 11.11 was designed all disks had a fixed size ...

This is different in 11.23 and 11.31, where disks can grow, but this depends on the LVM version you use (1.0;2.0;2.1).

If you shrink the disks now, you have a risk to hit your data during this operation, so at this point I would do a backup ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
UVK
Trusted Contributor

The only solution you have is to backup you data on the 20g mount. remove the PV related to the 20g lun and follow the regular procedure of creating the new pv and add the new pv to the vg. once you have your mount back with increased size you can restore the data.
-------------------------------------------
Like it or worked !! Click kudos !!
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear Randy

u can extend the the volume group
by adding new disk with the vgextend command

thanks and regards

Sajjad Sahir
Randy Durden
Frequent Advisor

I have changed the LUN size back to 20G. Are you saying I can make a new LUN and then do the lvextend?
Randy Durden
Frequent Advisor

lgextend