New Discussion юеВ

Re: Increasing disk size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amanda Deer
Frequent Advisor

Increasing disk size

O/S - Tru64 V5.1A, TruCluster

We connect to a SAN for our storage and we need to increase the size of our disks. Is it just a case of ncreasing the allocated storage at the SAN end and changing the disklabel on the Tru64 server to show the new size??
14 REPLIES 14
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes. Or you can create a new DISK/LUN and use a multivolume domain.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Amanda Deer
Frequent Advisor

I have done the disklabel ok, but when I try to use the extend option of mount it says -

WARNING: unknown option extend ignored

Am I doing this wrong?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Use the mount command with the extend option to make the increased partition space available to the file system as follows:

# mount -u -o extend mnt_point

Check out the manpage of 'mount' for more info.
Amanda Deer
Frequent Advisor

The man page says the command is only used for UFS. Tried it anyway and got the same error. What command do I use for AdvFS?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The man page does not tells that is only available for UFS, it does reference UFS for something specific. Is the same option for ADVFS. You can consult the ADVFS quick reference if you want to be sure.

Last time I tested, we had to umount the files system, run disklabel, and mount with the -o option.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Amanda Deer
Frequent Advisor

The man page on V5.1A does say - The following arguments are valid only for UFS.

Any other ideas?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

The "WARNING: unknown option extend ignored" message means that your 'mount' command doesn't recognize this option at all. I wonder if you are running a old patch version that does not contain 'mount' with the 'extend' option.

Are you sure you see the 'extend' option on that system's 'mount' manpage?

What is the patch version?
Amanda Deer
Frequent Advisor

The extend option is on the man page, but only for UFS. We are running V5.1A patchkit 6.