5759 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation instruction for HP-UNIX 9.04

ITRC forums_2
Advisor

Installation instruction for HP-UNIX 9.04

Hi All,

When I am trying to install hp-unix 9.04, installer does not prompt me for creating a logical volumes. It is prompting for creating root volume size and swap size. After that installer starts, then system reboots and system is not showing installation of hp-unix 9.04.

Can anybody advise or can share the instruction of installation ver 9.04

Thx for all your help.
14 REPLIES 14
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You're kidding, right? 9.04???? I don't think hp-ux even had LVM back then. Everything was done on sectors of whole disks.

Pete

Pete
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Because nothing was published in pdf or html (was maybe not invented yet), it will be hard to share anything ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

... maybe I have it anywhere in the bookshelf between the windows 3.1 and DOS 6.2 floppies ... ;-))

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I used to have the whole series of HP-UX 9.x books. I trashed them years ago. I don't think I've ever seen any electronic docs for HP-UX 9.x.
ITRC forums_2
Advisor

No,Installer is prompting me to choose a LVM. File system short or long, But it is not showing me any other option for other file system like /var /usr etc.

Installation is taking only 7 minutes to complete and neither it is asking for Core OS CD. After that system restarts and it is not booting up and neither showing any install. Please advise me.

Any body having installation notes or release notes, please share. I need to build the system.

Thx for all help.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

CD??? I must be mistaken but I thought back then it was installed off tape? What exactly do you have - what exactly does the label say it is?

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I still don't know about CD vs tape, but I have found a reference that says LVM was not available on the 700 series (workstations) - only on the 800 series (servers). Since, if I recall correctly, the even numbered releases like 9.04 were for the 800s, you probably do have LVM available.

Pete

Pete
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

If you are serious about running 9.04, back then the disk was divided into a number of hard partitions with s2 being the whole disk. I would recommend keeping it simple at this point.

I *strongly* recommend that you consider moving the application to an OS from this millenium.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

I really hope you are not installing HP-UX 9.04, but if you are you can learn more about the world of /etc/disktab at http://docs.hp.com/en/36217-90401/apjs01.html