New Discussion юеВ

Installation of Tru64Unix V4.0F

SOLVED
Go to solution
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

Installation of Tru64Unix V4.0F

Hi managers,

I am trying to install Tru64 Unix V4.0F on Alpha Server 2100A. it gives following error during installation:
Console mode: selecting 10Base2 (BNC) port
Created FRU table Binary Error log packet

Trap:invalid memory read access from kernel mode
Panic (cpu:0) Kernel memory fault

Dump: No Primary swap, no explict dumpdev.
Nowhere to put header, giving up.
halted cpu 0
halt code 5
Halt instruction Executed
P00>>

Any idea???

Rgds
noor
12 REPLIES 12
SlopeZ
Frequent Advisor

Re: Installation of Tru64Unix V4.0F

Hi Roor,

usually, this error isn't a hardware error.

It's the first time that you run-up this system? Have you got any errors in other TRU64 OS with the same 2100A system?

Take a look at this thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=952017

It is not the same situation but may can help you.

Regards,
Santibon
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

Hi santibon,

I am able to run OpenVMS V7.1 successfully on the system without any error...

any other idea?

Rgds
noor
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello
What is the firmware version? On some machines version must not be too high.
Can you post output of >>> show config
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Is this the first time you are trying to run Tru64 UNIX on this system? Does this happen when you boot from CD or when you boot the freshly installed system?

On 2100 servers, there could be a couple of console things that influence this. If I remember correctly, then the installation process on the 2100 had problems if the ECU had not run correctly. Also I remember a console variable new_memory_allocation or something like that needs to be properly set for "later" version of Tru64 UNIX (we would call those versions "ancient" now though).
Noor Ahmed_1
Advisor

Hi han,
Firmware verion is 5.3-10.
System also indicates for incorrect EISA configuration and ask to run ECU at power up.I think some EISA card has been removed from system...I have no ECU disket with me.OpenVMS installation on this system does not give any error.

following is output from sh config

P00>>sh config

Alpha server 2100 4/275
SRM console 5.3-10 VMS PALcode V5.56-7 OSF PALcode V1.45-12

Component status module ID

cpu0 P B2024-AA DECchip 21064A-2

Memory 0 P B2021-FA 128MB

Memory 1 P B2021-FA 128MB

I/O B2222-AA

SLOT OPTION Hose0, Bus0, PCI

2 Intel82375 Bridge to Bus1, EISA

3 DECchip21050-AA Bridge to Bus2,PCI

SLOT OPTION Hose0, Bus1,EISA

1 compaq Qvision

SLOT OPTION Hose, Bus2, PCI

1 NCR53C810 pka0.7.0.2001.0 SCSI ID 7
dka0.0.0.2001.0 RZ29B
dka100.1.0.2001 RZ29B
dka300.3.0.2001 RRD43
ewa0.0.0.2008.0 00-80-c8-4b-f6-6b

P00>>
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you should run the ECU first. Unfortunately those floppies are quite difficult to get hold of.
Aaron Biver_2
Frequent Advisor

Han,
He claims he can run VMS with no problem. Would the ECU still be an issue? I thought VMS required ECU also, it being a HW resource allocation thing thaty OSs cannot work around, no matter how well designed :).

Ahmed,

1) This is booting off of the CDROM, right?

2) is there more info, such as a faulting VA, PC, RA, and such? If so, please post it, as well as more details on the CDROM, such as build revision.

3) Even though an earlier posting suggested this is not likely a hardware error (and I agree), you might try a simple experiment:
remove all hardware other than the CDROM and its controller (or whatever medium your boot installation is crashing on). If you have a serial connection, you can remove the graphics card, too.

Then, try booting the installation medium. This will not work well because the installation will fail if you do not have a hard disk. I forget exactly where it will fail, but if it fails after the point at which you are failing now, you have made some progress.

If it works, then try adding the hard disk (and controller if needed). If it crashes, you will have found the failing hw components.

Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Aaron,

Yes, VMS needs the ECU too. However they may not fail in the same way. For instance I remember (from dual boot systems) that if Tru64 UNIX (or DIGITAL UNIX as it was called back then) was installed already it ran fine until you had to rebuild the kernel. Then it would fail with a very obscure message. Can't remember what the symptom was when booting from the installation CD, but I'm sure it failed with that too.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Here is some old ECU disk on my (VMS) ftp server. Use command prompt or mozilla (not IE) to get it.
ftp://csalf.cs.hr/MISC/ECU.ZIP
Hope it can help!
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster