1752273 Members
4460 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Debian on C3000 with USB keyboard

Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

Installing Debian on C3000 with USB keyboard

I am attempting to install Debain 3.0r1 on a HP9000/C3000. That system *only* has USB ports for keyboard/mouse, and after the Debian install kernel boots, it displays a message and waits for you to hit the keyboard to continue. I noticed as soon as the Debian kernel boots, that the keyboard and mouse stop functioning, and it is impossible for me to continue the installation. The install manuals for Debian don't address this issue, and google searches seem to talk about using a PS/2 port to overcome this, but I don't have that option on a C3000.

Anyone else run into this ?
6 REPLIES 6
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Debian on C3000 with USB keyboard

Arrgh good one that !

... I had a look at kickstart for debian on googel, thinking that you could perhaps prepare this from an other debian to automate install, but there are a lot of entry there complaining about the fact that debian does not have this...

What else... I suppose one could always get the source of the install cd and try to modify this probably forcing continue or some other options but that is asking a lot ...

Is debian the only linux alternatif on HP9000 ?
I dont know this ?

what about RedHat , if this is posible and you can type from keyboard then you could perhaps copy the kernel config file and recompile that using this kernel config file on a running debian to create a kernel that will include a valid kernel keyboard... then place this kernel on the install cd instead of the bad one

the above is only if you are determind to use debian only... else use Redhat !

hold on I found this pointer on google
http://www.google.be/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=20021210002020.GA19327%40dsl2.external.hp.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D9000%2BC3000%2Blinux

perhaps these iso would help ?

I know the above is only pointer and perhaps, but that is all I can come up with

Jean-Pierre

Smile I will feel the difference
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

I'm going to try using a serial cable. As soon as power comes back to CompUSA or Radioshack, I'll let you know and award points.
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

I went out a bought a serial cable, and things worked like a charm.

I am not going to try using the graphics card, after finding all the questions and issues about getting xfree86 to run on fx cards, I'll just stick to gui over my network. I also disconnected the USB keyboard and mouse, and things work fine. Once PALO was configured and I set the boot path to the correct disk, it will reboot in under 3 mins and go right to the Debian drive and boot.

=)
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Nice to know you got it going !

and probably the best solution, I learn a lot while searching found lot of usefull informations and earning points on the top of it all is a bonus.

Jean-Pierre
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

Jean-Pierre,

You had asked, and I forgot to mention, Debian is currently the only Linux distro that will run on a PA-RISC CPU, so RedHat wasn't an option.

RedHat will run on the Itanium HP servers, but not PA-RISC based servers.

Thanks again for your help!
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

No points for this reply pls ... I am the one that should give you points, but there is no way to do that ...

Oh well I may get the chance to do that someday.

Jean-Pierre