New Discussion юеВ

Installing Linux on HP proliant server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Installing Linux on HP proliant server

Hi All,

I want to install Linux red hat 5 on HP ProLiant DL320 G3 server, to make it a logsys server.
How I can starting to installing Linux on HP proliant server?

Thanks & kind Regards
11 REPLIES 11
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Linux on HP proliant server

Doesn't Red Hat provide installation
instructions?
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi All,

I know how to install the red hat on a normal PC but I am not trying on proliant server.
I don't know if I need to use smart start CD before starting the installation or I need to UPGRADE BIOS/FIRMWARE COMPONENTS of server. this is my questions

thanks
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Nejad ,

It is recommended to keep the firmware for servers up-to date, because once the servers are in production, it is tough to get the down time, and cost is involved. So you can have a proactive approach on Servers that are installed newly which will have less to worry in near future. Also try to keep the patch levels for redhat up-to date.

Installation don't have much difference but you have more things to do when you handle servers.

The below link will help you to find latest drivers, Firware etc fot your hardware model

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3288091тМй=en&cc=my&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=427542

Thanks & Regards
Jayakrishnan
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi All,

Thanks for your replay, but how i can check all BIOS/FIRMWARE and software COMPONENTS version on HP ProLiant DL320 G3 server.

Thanks
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Nejad

You can have such information from bios itself & ILO related information from Remote- ILO web page or ilo access at the system boot.

I hope F8 at the boot will take to ILO and f9 for bios in HP DL servers. If you have internal raid device like P410 you will have the same f8 key to access the raid controller, so you should press the F8 keys at the right time.

Thanks & Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik
S.N.S
Valued Contributor

Hi,

U need to set the HW Raids & Proliant Support Pack (downloadable also)...

HTH
SNS

"Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% Perspiration" - Edison
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi S.N.S,

what do you mean with "U need to set the HW Raids" ?

Note: in my server i have 2 local disk 250 GB

And the HP ProLiant DL320 G3 server is it compatible with RHEL 5 ?.

And If i want to upgrade firmware and configure RAID, i must first use smartstart CD

Thanks
And I didn't forget your point :-)!
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

>>what do you mean with "U need to set the HW Raids" ?

You can have a hardware mirror configuration done from the Raid Controller Interface.

I hope HP servers will have a P400 or P410 raid contoller which will show the initialization at the boot where you can press F8 key to go inside and configure RAID. It supports various raid levels and if you have enough disks you can make use of Raid 5 or higher. As you mentioned 2 disks and they are for OS the best solution is to go for mirroring/RAID 1 which will be mentioned by
"RAID 1+0" inside the interface.

And the HP ProLiant DL320 G3 server is it compatible with RHEL 5 ?.
I never see any compatibility issue for RHEL 5 on DL380 G3 HW.

Let me try to find out more on firmware uprade.

Please do not forget to assign appropriate points.

Thanks & Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Nejad,

You can download the necessary ILO firmware or bios upgrades from HP website I have given before and hopefully there will be readme files inside the archive that can help you How to proceed.

Thanks & Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik