108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing RedHat ES4 in my HP Proliant DL380 G5 with RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martyn Philo

Installing RedHat ES4 in my HP Proliant DL380 G5 with RAID

Hi all,
I have a problem installing RedHat ES4 in my HP Proliant DL380 G5 because it didn't recognise the smart array E200 controller.

I've looked for the driver on DL-380 drivers site:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/6213.html?lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=1121516

Should these drivers be loaded at boot time? I hoped/assumed that the drivers would work off of the Smart Start CD - they didn't! I've now created the floppy with some drivers on in the hope that this should do the trick.

I have to wait just over a week until my return to the site (China) to give this a go.

Any up front guidance would be most helpful as I only have a limited window of opportunity when on site.

Martyn
5 REPLIES 5
Ulf Zimmermann
Frequent Advisor

Re: Installing RedHat ES4 in my HP Proliant DL380 G5 with RAID

Download the latest Update version (should be Update 4) of ES4 from rhn.redhat.com. The cciss driver included in that version will regonize the controller.
Robert Walker_8
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Also Update 5 is expected to be out next month in theory :)

Robert.
Jess Long
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Martyn:

You didn't specify which version of the SmartStart CD you had, but, if it is v7.70 it has the driver you want. Using a running Linux system, just browse the CD, and look for a directory /punchout/linux
When you find it, change to that directory, and run ./lnxdbldr.sh. This will start a utility that will create a floppy diskette with the selected driver on it. You can then use this diskette as a Driver Update Diskette to install the OS.
When the OS has booted from the RH CD #1, put the floppy in the floppy drive, and type at the boot prompt, "linux dd", then follow the instructions on the screen.

Hope this helps,
JL
Martyn Philo

Jess,
thanks for your pointers. I downloaded the latest ISO's of ES4 and this worked a treat. The original disks supplied obviously didn't have the support for this RAID controller. I am now armed from every angle and have the system up an running. I just have to do all my configuring and extranet build on my return to China later on in the year.

Regards
Martyn Philo

Thanks guys for providing me some solutions for my issues. A great community of helpful people.

Long live!