New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Secure Shell over Secure Shell

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darrell Tschakert
Regular Advisor

Installing Secure Shell over Secure Shell

Hi,
We are running 11.23 on rx2620's and rx4640's. We have Secure Shell ver A.03.71.007. A recent HP Security bulletin recommends installing Secure Shell A.04.30.000 to avoid a DOS attack risk. The instructions for loading Secure Shell are simple - just enter "swinstall -s /a/b/TI1471AA.depot ..."

We already have Secure Shell loaded. Do I have to remove the old SSH first, or just load over the old SSH? Also, am I going to lose all of my old sshd_config and the other config files in /opt/ssh/etc/?

Thanks

Darrell Tschakert
I'll add a quote when I think of one.
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Generally speaking, swinstall is able to manage this. You do the same e.g. while installing a new version of online diagnostics to preserve your settings.

Just follow the instructions. If the documentation is telling you there is no need to remove an older version, there is no need to remove.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

with a lot of products, there is no need to first remove the older version.
Part of the install is to automatically handle modifying the IPD to show the newer product, amongst other things, and should maintain your configuration files etc.

Unless the new version explicitly tells you to first remove it, there is no need
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

Recently we did this on our environment,the procedure I followed was

- swremove the existing ssh product(existing connection will not terminate to be safe I tured on the telnet during this brief period)
- swinstall the new product

Rgds

HGN
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Darrell,

No need to remove Old SSH depot. You can install the newer version on top of it. Old SSH will be replaced whenver you login with a new connection.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
spex
Honored Contributor

Darrell,

Your settings should be preserved, but just to be safe, make sure you have a backup of /opt/ssh/etc/.

PCS
Darrell Tschakert
Regular Advisor

The consensus is to swinstall over the old Secure Shell. But, it is possible to remove the old one first. I will install over the old, but backup the /opt/ssh/etc directory to be safe.

thanks,

Darrell Tschakert
I'll add a quote when I think of one.