1752786 Members
5920 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Tru64 5.1B on SAN attached disk

Malkeet Thethi

Installing Tru64 5.1B on SAN attached disk

Hi

When installing 5.1B on SAN attached ES80 server unable to see SAN attached disk during installtion procedure where it prompts for disk to be used for root, var etc. List only the local SCSI attached disk.

The SAN attached disks are visible at shareware prompt P00> and wwidmgr level. Does it mean the 5.1B base does not have support of Fibre and will it require to do a install on th elocal disk, apply NHD and then move root, usr and var disk across ?.
7 REPLIES 7
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

V5.1B base does support Firbe, we use it all the time. Sounds like somethings not set right.

Make sure the adapters are set to fabric:
>>> wwidmgr -show adapters

If not set them:
>>> wwidmgr -set adapter -item 0|1 -type fabric

Specify which SAN disks the server can boot from:

>>> wwidmgr -show wwid
>>> wwidmgr -quickset -item # -udid ##

It's been a long time since I've had to do this so I don't remember all the details. These are from my notes. Hope they get you pointed in the right direction.

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

I suspect it's as you point out - that you're missing the NHD on your initial install. There is a procedure out there for including the NHD on an initial 5.1B install. It involves switching the NHD and 5.1B CDs back and forth about 20-30 times (not exaggerating, either). Sorry, I could not find my copy of the procedure - but I know it's out there.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Yes, you do need NHD CD to install directly to SAN disk.
Read release notes about details.
It would be something like:
>>> boot -fl fa -fi "GENERIC" dqa0
Then you swap disks as prompted.
Also do "wwidmgr stuff" to be able to boot from SAN disk after the installation.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You shouldn't need the NHD procedure. The 5.1B base CD has all you need to see fibre disks.

I did have a similar(ish) problem recently where I could see the local SCSI disks at the SRM (P00>>) prompt but not in the installer. This turned out to be a faulty SCSI card...

Check to see if you get any odd errors thrown out to the console when the machine boots into the installer. They might help to diagnose the problem.

Another thought might be that the firmware on the fibre cards is really old...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

5.1b base cd won't see can not see eva san. The way to do it is to install os in the internal disk, (dsk0) then upgrade the os. Only after it then you can see the san and do the installation.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

> 5.1b base cd won't see can not see eva san

I disagree. I installed 5.1B today and the first disk picked up by the installer was one on my EVA.

Cheers,

Rob
DCBrown
Frequent Advisor

V5.1B base supports san. All it needs is the emx driver to be able to log into the fabric, talk to san directory server, etc. to find devices. The emx driver is in the initial kit and all subsequent kits.

The the NHD kit is needed to get full support for some of the latest adapters. "Full support" means that the adapter's name was added to the adapter recognition table -- it supports/uses all the adapters fine without NHD but will report the adapter model as "?????" without one of the new emx drivers that have the appropriate text string/table update. Minor. Also, for full XP storage support the ddr code needs the wildcarding capability introduced in bl24. Again, V51.b base talks to storage and uses it just fine without this, but "full" support as in recognizing it and using the ddr entry for it requires bl24 or later.