New Discussion юеВ

Installing software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bedare Nikhil
Advisor

Installing software

Hi,
How to install a software from cd to any HP unix server ?
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Installing software

It depends on where the software came from and how it was packaged. If it is from HP, that means it was packaged using "Software Distributor" and will be installed with the swinstall command. First mount the cd, then issue "swinstall -s /cdrom".

If the software is from another source, it may be packaged with tar, cpio, or some other format - your installation instructions will have to be your guide.

Pete

Pete
Bedare Nikhil
Advisor

Hi Pete,
What is the command for mounting the cd ?
spex
Honored Contributor
Solution

Bedare,

1) # ioscan -fnC disk
and find your CD-ROM drive's device file.
2) # mkdir /SD_CDROM || mkdir /cdrom
3) # mount /dev/dsk/from_step_1 /mountpoint_from_step_2

PCS
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You know - I thought about giving mount command syntax, but then I thought that anyone with root authority, preparing to install software onto a HP-UX server would have to already know something that basic.

You should probably also be thinking about where the software is going to be installed (/opt, most likely) and whether you have enough space to load it (swinstall will refuse to load the software if it can't find enough space). You also need to be aware of codeword protected software that must be purchased from HP, the codeword obtained and entered in order to unlock the software to be installed.

There is a lot involved in installing software - far too much to cover in a brief response on a forum such as this. You should spend some time with the man pages for swinstall, install-sd(1M), sd(4), and sd(5).

Pete

Pete
Bedare Nikhil
Advisor

Thanks Pete and Swex !!

Pete, I know that this is a very basic question which I had asked, I have done this on Solaris and was doing it for the first time on HP-Unix,so I just wanted to confirm from all the experienced people on this forum.I apologise for not being "clear" in my question.
Thanks a lot to both of you as your suggestion has definetely sloved my query.

Thanks a lot.
Nikhil