Operating System - HP-UX
1753514 Members
7217 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insufficient Space on Dump Device.

Andy Tran

Insufficient Space on Dump Device.

I have HP C3600 hardware with 2 1/2 Gig of RAM. I chose 1 1/2 Gig for primary swap size and 1 1/2 Gig for secondary swap size during the 10.20 install. i am having an error message "Insufficient Space on Dump Device to save full crash dump" during system boot up. Any suggestions for how I should set up the Swap?
5 REPLIES 5
Anthony Goonetilleke
Esteemed Contributor

Minimum effort maximum output!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Use the command:

lvlnboot -v

to see if both dump devices have been configured into the BDRA. Creating a secondary swap device does not automatically create a dump device--some sysadmins want the dump and swap devices separate.

Use lvlnboot -d to configre additional dump devices.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin

Andy,

You are getting the "warning:" because you have not set up the dump space on the server. In event of a crash, the system will dump memory image on this dump space and will create crash files in the directory defined by the variable "SAVECORE_DIR" in /etc/rc.config.d/savecore. In order to create dump space use the "lvlnboot" command with the "-d" option on the logical volumes you want to use as dump( ex. lvlnboot -d /dev/vg00/lvol2 will create a dump logical volume on /dev/vg00/lvol2).You can use the existing swap logical volumes as dump logical volumes but would recommend not using it unless you are short of disk space. Things to consider while creating dump space :-
1) Dump logical volume should lie within the first 4 GB of physical disk.
2) If primary swap space is not used as dump then the boot process , after the crash , will not slow down because savecore will run in the background.
3) If secondary swap is used as dump space then the possibility of invalid dump , after the crash, increases in case the system starts using the secondary swap space before saving the dump.

Hope it helps.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Also, check the online manual for lvlnboot( man lvlnboot)
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

You Can either choose to add an additional Dump-device
or
Increase you're Primary Swap

Because of the Contiguous Allocation policy, you need to create a bigger lvol and modify the BDRA to make it primary.
# lvcreate -C y -L xxx /dev/vg00
This new lvol HAS to be in vg00
# lvlnboot -v /dev/vg00
This will display the current root and swap
volumes
(Note: lvol2 is the default primary swap.)

# lvrmboot -s /dev/vg00
remove the swap link to the current primary
swap.
# lvlnboot -s /dev/vg00
create a swap link with the new lvol.
# lvlnboot -R /dev/vg00
relink everything
# vi /etc/fstab
update /etc/fstab
# shutdown -r 0
reboot

Good Luck