1748166 Members
3847 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Intermittent connections with hummingbird exceed

Keith Zuidema_1
Advisor

Intermittent connections with hummingbird exceed

I am running Oracle Ent Linux, and I have network bonding running. I have been noticing that on my PC i can connect to xdmcp with exceed and then on reboot of the server, I sometimes cannot use exceed from that PC, but from a diffrent PC it will run.
I am looking for a some direction for where I should start looking for logs, erors, etc. I have looked at the PC event logs, and exceed logs on the PC and I see nothing.

I can still ssh to the server in both cases with putty.

the PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate, and Exceed 12.0

The Server is a DL380 G6 runing Oracle Enterprise Linux 2.6.18-164.el5

Thanks in advancce for the help.
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

How exactly does the xdmcp connection fail? Does it get refused immediately, or does it time out?

If the Linux server refuses a login, it should write a message to one of the log files located typically in /var/log.

If the connection from one PC is refused after a reboot, can you successfully connect from that PC on e.g. the next day? Or is that PC apparently forever unable to connect after that?

Are the PC(s) and the server in the same network segment? Is there a firewall or some other device that might be capable of filtering connections between the PCs and the server? If so, check its logs.

MK
MK
Keith Zuidema_1
Advisor

I should have posted that I am running the oeLinux in a test environment, and I am newer to linux, (I have had hp-ux 11.23 for over three years)

When I open exceed and select the server, I get the grey screen and a black X.

When the PC loses connection, the only way to get it back is to do reboots until the pc can Connect again.

The PC and the server(s) are on a diffrent v-lans, the PC with Exceed can connect to any of my hp-ux servers in the same vlan as the linux server but not the linux server.

I will look through logs and see if I have any errors.
Keith Zuidema_1
Advisor

ok I have some new info, I did some searching on a message in the /var/log/messages fiel, and I found
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-desktop-x-windows/69829-problem-remote-access-gdm.html
I changed the ip of the PC and I could connect with exceed, I changed the ip back to the original and I could not. so the question is why would the server stop a particular IP from connecting, and how do I stop that?

Keith Zuidema_1
Advisor

Does anyone have any input on this? i have done some more research, and still cannot find anything. I have verified that the firewall is off on this server, but am still (what seems randomly) unable to connect from a pc that has a dhcp address.
Larry Klasmier
Honored Contributor

Out of curiosity. When this is happening, can you ping the IP address of you PC from teh Linux server in question?