Intresting Query....

Dear Experts,

Setup :
1) L2000 Server ver HP-UX 11.0 , No backup
device is Available.
ORACLE FINANCIALS 81 Database.
2) SUN E3500 ver 2.6 Oracle Financial
Database 8i. With backup Device.

Can I can connect this 2 systems and used as SUN as a BACKUP Server and also Use Push-Pull Technology for updation of Database from HP to SUN with regular Intervals.

Is this thing is Possible and if yes how we can do that.

Any Kind of Help will be Appreciated.

Rgds
JAI
Don`t Give Up........
3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Intresting Query....

Yes, you can use your Sun tape device to backup your HP if you use someting like tar. From your HP you can do;

tar cf - | dd bs=64k | remsh -l dd of=/dev/

You will need to be able to remsh to the Sunbox from your HP without requiring a password (use .rhosts file).

As for Oracle DB copying, we use Oracle replication, its an Oracle product and updates a remote DB from an original, as long as both are using the same versions of Oracle. I believe you could also possibly do it using Oracle db snaphots, then copy the snapshots over to your other Oracle db server and use them to update that db. These require some Oracle expertise however.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Veritas Netbackup also supports HP-UX machines as backup servers/clients, which could be an option for you if tar isn't working out an dyou have the money. The oracle question I must concede to the others. Good luck.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

For something as important as a database, i.e. probably valuable data, I advise some advanced/networked backup product like HP's OmniBack product. OmniBack has integrations with databases like Oracle and probably has a Media Agent (the component which writes/reads to/from the tape) for your SUN platform. The central system, the Cell Manager, must either be an HP-UX or Windows (NT/2000) system.