Operating System - HP-UX
1753519 Members
4859 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible to share a logical volume by two versions of HP-UX on the same server?

newa
Frequent Advisor

Is it possible to share a logical volume by two versions of HP-UX on the same server?

Hi,
On a rp3440 server there are 2 disks configured as follows:

disk1 has HP-UX 11i v3 installed with standard logical volumes like /dev/vg00/lvol1, /dev/vg00/lvol2, /dev/vg00/lvol3, etcтАж

disk2 has HP-UX 11i v2 installed with standard logical volumes like /dev/vg00/lvol1, /dev/vg00/lvol2, /dev/vg00/lvol3, etcтАж

The question is:
If I boot the server into disk1 OS, is there a way that I can mount the logical volumes sitting on disk2?

Thanks a lot for your time.
22 REPLIES 22
Jupinder Bedi
Respected Contributor

Re: Is it possible to share a logical volume by two versions of HP-UX on the same server?

No its not possible
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare
newa
Frequent Advisor

Of course I want to keep the data on both disks untouched
Jupinder Bedi
Respected Contributor

there is only one way, you can boot the 2 servers from these 2 disks than mount the filesystem of the other disk by using NFS but only single server its not possible
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

I think it is possible, by default 11.31 uses VG Version 1.0 for vg00, which is comatible with 11.23. For VXFS, 11.31 uses FS layput version: 6, which is compatible with vxfs 4.1.
newa
Frequent Advisor

If you think it's doable can you please give me the datials on how to do it.

Thanks a lot.
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

As i said before it is a matter of LVM version and VXFS version layout compatibility. As you have only vg00(because you have two disks only) you have no problem with VG version it is already version 1.0.

For vxfs if you install 11iv3 september 2009, the default vg00 lvs are FS layout version is 6. If you add addtional file systems be sure that you are creating with version 6 layout(if you dont use vxfs 5.0 on 11.23).
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

It's possible, you just have to define an additional volume group (vg01) for each OS version and mount the second disk logical volumes e.g. as follows:

mount /dev/vg01/lvol3 /anotherroot etc
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
newa
Frequent Advisor

But Victor,

on page 558 of <> (Part # B2355-90950, E0306) it says:

"A given disk can only belong to one volume group..."
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>"A given disk can only belong to one volume group..."<<<<

Yes, above its true. if you have "disk" c2t3d4
belonging to "vg01" -> (example)

imagine if you want to use for "vg03" -> example:- "lvm" will compliant it belongs to another "volume group"

Example :- when you are trying to
vgcreate /dev/vg03 /dev/rdsk/c2t3d4 -> you receive error "disk already belongs to another volume group"
same applies for (vgextend,lvextend,pvmove)

HTH,
Regards,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference