New Discussion юеВ

Is safe to disable nfs.core?

SOLVED
Go to solution
compiler
Frequent Advisor

Is safe to disable nfs.core?

Hi.

I have stopped NFS client and server daemons (and I set NFS_CLIENT and NFS_SERVER to 0 in nfsconf), and almost all nfs procs dissapeared.

But when I stop nfs.core daemon, it stops "rpcbind".

Is rpcbind ONLY needed for the NFS service, or stopping could cause other rpc programs/services/client to stop working?

Where do I disable the NFS_CORE? There is no NFS_CORE=XXX variable in the nfsconf file, and I don't want to remove the rcX.d symlinks ...

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Sagar Sirdesai
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Is safe to disable nfs.core?

Hi
nfs.core starup script starts the rpcbind
If you stop the rpcbind service all the rpc services started by inetd in the inetd.conf file will not start as they need the rpcbind process to be already running.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

nfs.core is comman for both nfs.server and nfs.client.

The nfs.core script is executed at system run level 2 and is used for both NFS client and
server machines. It starts portmap or rpcbind depending on the HP-UX version. The rpcbind
daemon is used in HP-UX 10.30 and above, while the earlier versions use portmap.

NFS_CLIENT and NFS_SERVER variables are just to control the auto startup of the NFS services during boot.

If you start nfs client service manually then it will start both nfs.core and nfs.client. Same way if you start nfs server manually, it also will start both nfs.core and nfs.server.

Hope you understand now.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
compiler
Frequent Advisor

Thanks a lot for all your answers, I found the startup script for nfs.core:

$ ls /sbin/rc2.d/*core*
/sbin/rc2.d/S400nfs.core

I don't understand why the name "nfs.core" for the service ... it should have been called as rpc, rpcbind or something like that ...

compiler
Frequent Advisor

I close thread. Thanks a lot for the answers.