8537 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is there any Limit for adding IPs in HP-UX 11i

wish_1
Frequent Advisor

Is there any Limit for adding IPs in HP-UX 11i

Dear All

We are having HPrp7400 (HP-UX 11i)server with two node cluster with 4 live oracle 9i application running and also 9iAS in one node.

The issue is - in one node there 5 IPs assiged now i want to know can i add 5 more IPs in host file for the communication purpose. And also want to know what is the limit.

thanx & Regds
wish
8 REPLIES 8
wish_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Is there any Limit for adding IPs in HP-UX 11i

dear all

I want to add 5 more logical IPs. Any is limit there for addind logical IPs any white paper or documentation please give me the URLs

thanx & Regds
wish

wish,

You can have up to 200, if your IP subnetting will allow that. See page 96 of the Serviceguard manual:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B3936-90079/B3936-90079.pdf

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I believe as far as the _transport_ (TCP/IP) code goes, there is no limit to the number of IPs one can assign. From other posts, it sounds like there may be a limit in ServiceGuard.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
D Block 2
Respected Contributor

run for yourself:
netstat -i
netstat -rn
and
lanscan

notice:

with the Oracle RAC, make certain that any Floating Virtual-IPs have the exact same "Logical" lan instance number.

example:

node 1 - VIP 172.16.60.100 is on [ lan1:1 ]
node 2 - VIP 172.16.60.200 is on [ lan1:1 ]

I know for a fact, that Oracle 10g RAC has an issue with the FailOver of the service to the 2nd node. It assumes, that lan1:1 should be the same for the Oracle VIPs.

If both Servers have a different lan, then change this to the same by using "ioinit -f ".

Golf is a Good Walk Spoiled, Mark Twain.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

There is no limit logically to the number of virtual IP addresses that you can add to any interface but to be realistic, I would not go wild and add anything more than 10-12 addresses to any interface unless your interface is a Gbit one and all other connections that you are going to field are going to come from 10/100 interfaces. Throughput otherwise will be subpar.

Of course, subnetting is your other limiting factor as far as how many addresses you can have.

wish,

wanted to clarify my side comments about Oracle VIPS.

The IP's can be on different lan interface number other than lan1. They could be on lan3, but the lan# and interface :6, should all be the same for that subnet of floating VIPs, e.g., lan3:6.

best rgds,
Tom
Golf is a Good Walk Spoiled, Mark Twain.
wish_1
Frequent Advisor

Dear All

Thanks a lot for giving useful information. I will be disturbing you all time and again.

Once again a BIG THANKS

Regards
Wish
wish_1
Frequent Advisor

t