3614 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is xhost forgetful?

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Is xhost forgetful?

Hi,

I am running Tru Unis V5.1A and I am puzzled.
I enter xhost +.
It works. I shutdown the machine, turn it on next day and I get again the error connection refused again. Also shouldn??t a host disappear,
when it??s right to access is revoked?

sol10d /> xhost
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
INET:localhost
INET:fra34.fraed.de.danzas.com
sol10d /> xhost -
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
sol10d /> xhost -fra34.fraed.de.danzas.com
fra34.fraed.de.danzas.com being removed from access control list
sol10d /> xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:fra34.fraed.de.danzas.com
INET:localhost

Michael
6 REPLIES 6
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Try /usr/bin/X11/dxhosts and disable the auth system by clicking on "disable". This selection will survive reboots (because it modifies the configuration files itself).

Or you write the hostnames which are allowed to access the screen in the file /etc/X0.hosts as documented in the man page of xhosts.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

If you do not folly the above suggestion, the When the shell exits that ran xhost + then the authentication hapens each time an X program is initiated...

Tim
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Is Xhost forgetful ... nope it just lasts for the duration of the currently running Xserver so when you reboot you've closed down X and started a new Xserver hence the results .... create a /etc/X*.hosts is the way forward as per the above.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Alex,
your answer makes the behaviour of xhost somewhat clear. However, even after using dxhosts, I find no trace of an /etc/X*.host file and neither can I find any reference to the content of said file. Also man pages say, that xhost without a parameter shows the hosts, that are allowed to connect, which means, fra34 should have disappeared from the list, right?
thank you for helping me to refine my knowledge.

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

$HOME/.sysman/Dxhosts is the configuration file of the hosts used within the security option.

Dxhosts is an DEC application, xhosts an X11 application. So xhosts uses X*hosts files for permanent entries and dxhosts uses the file Dxhosts.

Btw. this is named within the man pages and dxhosts was not Alex idea - it was mine.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Ralf,

I didn??t mean to offend you. The first sentence only was directed to Alex. I just wrote my thoughts in one long paragraph. I probably should have made a newline or adressed you. Please accept my appologies.

Anyway, it is almost solved, except for the question, why the fra34 didn??t disappear after removing it from the list of accepted hosts.

If anyone can answer that question, I??ll be happy.

Michael