SOLVED
Go to solution
David Willams
Super Advisor

Issue with my servers

All Masters,

Good Morning !!!

I have some Issues in my DC..

I have hpux 11.00, 11.11, 11.23, 11.31 OS running on N Class(11.00, 11.11) and rx84xx(11.23 & 11.31) servers..

Now I have been searching all through google and other sites and the most answers I got while googling is through itrc.hp.com ... now I want to present my issue here..

Point A::)I want to move all my 11.11 servers to a different location...

Plz tell me in technical terms what is the process here..like if possible

step 1: do this
step 2: do this etc..

Point B::) I want to move all my 11.00 to a same server which I am buying from e-bay.com

I want to use an existing rx server and make it into 2 VM's and not any par's

1. HP told me what all I need to do this...
2. I want to know which will be better to use
HPVM or Integrity VM...
3. What if I have a HPVM manager added to
this... will this reduce my complaxity..

My next main Issue is the Ignite server.. Till date we were taking backup's using only net apps..

In this DC Issue.. I do not have a Ignite server.. what should I do to move the servers discssed in Point A and Point B..9I know Ignite backup or clone or anything is required)

thanks in advance
Danny

PS: I know I have to hire a person to do this.. but I am waiting for the approval.. but I need ur masters inputs on this..

[I know that I should hire a person to do this.. but I did not get approval for so much money.. I am still waiting on it for the approval from my managers...]
8 REPLIES 8
David Willams
Super Advisor

Re: Issue with my servers

I was asked to do this and excellent points will be avarded..

" When you return to your message page to review the replies you receive from your peers, please assign points to each response you receive. "

David Willams
Super Advisor

If anyone has done the above kind of setup... can u suggest as how to go on
David Willams
Super Advisor

any updatees plz
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

>>>Point A::)I want to move all my 11.11 servers to a different location...

---take an Image & snapshot of other logs and ship the equiment

>>>Point B::) I want to move all my 11.00 to a same server which I am buying from e-bay.com

---Clone using Ignite

>>>In this DC Issue.. I do not have a Ignite server.. what should I do to move the servers discssed in Point A and Point B..9I know Ignite backup or clone or anything is required)

----I can only see one thing create an Ignite server...

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

David,

What you outlined is not impossible as you can imagine. There are some unclear points in your original post and a quasi-misconception that I sensed.

>>Point A::)I want to move all my 11.11 servers to a different location...

This is totally possible with good planning. Your main concerns are:

1)Network infrastructure (and firewalls of course) in the new location.
2)Shared resources (as in tape libraries, SAN, etc.) in the new location.

If these issues are addressed and a transition plan is put to place before you dismount these machines from the rack and load them onto trucks to be shipped to the new location, you should be in pretty good shape.

But having said that, I don't know your servers' current configuration and the new location's architecture. If you have a convoluted network infrastructure and bazillion SAN attached volumes, this activity may end up to be a daunting one. And unfortunately, there is no step-by-step playbook for this. I have relocated 50+ hpux servers big data centers, twice in my 20+ years professional life and looking onto another one in less than 1 year. Let me tell you this much, the simplest of all moves is not simple at all. Hence the need for a consultant and time for your management to wake up and smell the coffee. (by the way I need coffee too, right about now)

>> Point B::) I want to move all my 11.00 to a same server which I am buying from e-bay.com

Are you buying a single, bigger server from fleabay, that you are planning to move your 11.00 servers into VMs created on this box? This point is not very clear but from the rest of the question, this is what I am sensing, the case.

>>I want to use an existing rx server and make it into 2 VM's and not any par's
>>2. I want to know which will be better to use HPVM or Integrity VM...

Since I personally do not like VM concept, especially on HP hardware, I do not have direct experience in this area but if you are referencing the open source project high performance virtual machines by HPVM, I am not sure I'd go to that end as the support may be sketchy at best. Otherwise in HP lingo, HPVM is a synonym to Integrity VM. You need to be more clear here as in what class of server your 11.00 systems are coming from (model number is a good place to start) and what type of hardware you are planning to buy from fleabay to relocate them onto ?

At this point, you need to consider one thing: If you are coming from a PA-RISC machine (since you said 11.0 as OS version I am assuming they are running on PA-RISC) and planning to put this machine's contents into a VM hosted on an Integrtity machine, your applications might not function or if they do, you might have a big performance penalty to pay, which in turn reflects to spending more money. I am sure your bean counters will not like that one as well.

You wanted to get step-by-step playbook for what you are going to do. I'll tell you now, you will not get it. If you do, it will be so generic that it won't be of any use when the time comes to actually follow it. Take it from someone who did this in the past. The best you can do is to document what you are running right now, as in which server needs to do what and connect to what, and you will need to duplicate it in your new location.

I don't know the size (as in number of servers and number of apps running on these servers) of your relocation effort but I'lll tell you this much, "it ain't gonna be easy" as the Southerner's say.

To move a server to a different location, it is possible the ip address will be changed, and the network configuration might be different too.

So, modify the network configuration file if needed and using set_parms to reset the ip address and gateway as well.

Then shutdown and power off the server for relocation.

As for clone server, you can use tape to clone server to a new location, or use clone process to rebuild the server.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

David,

Having moved a data center and applications from server to server, I can tell you this is not an easy task, and definitely not one to be taken on if you haven't had the experience.

Mel has given you fantastic advice and I will simply add that it would be best that you bring in someone with this kind of experience, and attach your self to their hip and watch and help with everything they do. You will learn so much that will benefit you and whoever you work for!

Any responses here (again as Mel mentioned) can only be generic and should not be taken as verbatim. You need specific things for your site(s) that are tailored for just your environment so your moves go without a hitch.

Kindest regards,
Rita
David Willams
Super Advisor

Thanks so much Mel in ur time and effort in helping me on this Issue...

My other location Data Center & this data center ahve the same configuration...

I just have to move the servers from one location to another.. I know it is not that simple that just unplug the cables and load them to the truck and unload them and plug them back in.. I know that this will not work..

I also know that there is no step by step documentation for this ... but could u give me the procedure to do this..

like what I know..

- take a copy of /etc/hosts
- take a copy of /etc/rc.config.d/netconf etc...
-what else to take ..
-what else to take care.. like system firmware..pdc etc..
- take an Ignite Image make_nwtk_recovery (But here I do not know how) can u give me or attach a document to take an Ignite Image ..
- plug the cables out..
- now drag them to the truck and ship them to the new location
- plug them back
-- etc..

Could you/some one who has done this sort of moving servers from one location to another give me the steps or the proceddure like I have mentioned above plz..