108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Kerberos error when trying to rsh

SOLVED
Go to solution
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

Kerberos error when trying to rsh

Can anyone help me out here? I've googled this, and nobody seems to have an answer. I have an HP test program that uses rsh. Whenever I try to rsh to the clients (several varieties of linux but mainly RH5.1), I get the error. "krb_sendauth failed: you have no tickets cached"

I have this working on some clients, but it doesn't seem to work on others, even with the same files modified, eg. hosts, .rhosts, securetty, etc.
Understand, I need no security whatsoever in my environment. I've even moved the securetty file to a .bak, and still no luck.

The rsh service is started on some clients that don't work, but on the RedHat5.1 clients, I don't see the service when I do a chkconfig, & I dont seem to be able to start it, but that's only the issue on RH5.1 clients.

Any help?
5 REPLIES 5
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

you should install rsh-server package and activate rsh:

chkconfig rsh on.

skt_skt
Honored Contributor

i do have similar problem. Will post the result once i test.
Justin_99
Valued Contributor

Have had a similar issue on test systems. I ended up removing krb5-workstation package and the krb errors went away when I would rsh to a system. Other things you might check are /etc/pam.d/rsh, rlogin, and rexec. Might need to add promiscuous to the files. Think this is for password less access though.

rlogin:
auth sufficient pam_rhosts_auth.so promiscuous

rsh:
auth required pam_rhosts_auth.so promiscuous
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

Installing the rsh-server package worked.

I find it odd, that if you don't go in and select custom packages when you install the OS, not even xinetd gets installed.

Thanks for the help.
Wade
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

I've got what I need.
Thanks Guys.