6969 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Kernel Installation on Redhat 8.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott Lofthouse

Kernel Installation on Redhat 8.0

I'm currently running Redhat 8.0 on a LPR server. I tried to upgrade the kernel from 2.4.18-4 to 2.4.20-28.8 using a rpm file I downloaded. When I installed the new kernel using rpm I received no errors. However when I do a "uname -r" it reports back the old kernel 2.4.18-4. I checked the grub.conf file and that has been updated along with the files under the directories /boot & /lib/modules. Is there something I'm missing to do? I thought installing the rpm file it should take care of everything? Should I rebuild the kernel using a source file instead? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
4 REPLIES 4
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor
Solution

1) Have you rebooted? The kernel is loaded at boot time. You can replace the kernel while linux is running, but you won't actually use the new kernel until you reboot.

2) If you install the new kernel (rpm -ivh ...), as opposed to upgrading (rpm -Uvh ...), both kernels will be available in your grub.conf. I'm pretty sure the default kernel in such a situation is the original kernel. You can of course change that.

Bruce
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Hai,

You have upgraded the kernel and working in the old kernel only. Your upgradation is successful from your /lib/modules,/boot image file and loader (lilo or grub) entries for the new kernel. Try to reboot and start the system with new kernel.

kernel upgradation is not like the product or application upgradation. If we want to use the specific kernel ,we have to go to that kernel.

There is no need to reinstall the kernel again. Reboot and have fun in new kernel :)

Regards,
Muthukumar.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Jan Sladky
Trusted Contributor

hi Scott,

have you rebooted the box after installation ?

If yes, grub is still loading the old kernel as default, change it and reboot

br Jan
GSM, Intelligent Networks, UNIX
Scott Lofthouse

The problem is now resolved. It was a stupid mistake I made. I forgot to eject the old boot disk out of the floppy drive. However, thanks for all of your help..

Scott