Tunable Usage / Setting Usage Id Name
=============================
maxfiles_lim 60209 / 4096
                                           60209 5496 racgimon
                                           60207 4505 racgimon
                                           60205 3938 racgimon
                                           60198 4774 racgimon
                                              1633 3845 diaglogd

kclog -n maxfiles_lim - I am not getting any output , there is no tunable was done previously. 

Regards,

Santosh Abraham
Advisor

Re: Kernel parameter maxfiles_lim showing more than 400%

The other possibility is that a privileged user has raised hard limit's via the setrlimit() system call.

From the  "Restrictions" section specified in the maxfiles_lim man-page (See http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02261153/c02261153.pdf)

"Restrictions on Changing
The maxfiles_lim tunable is dynamic (tuning will take effect immediately on the running system).
Dynamic changes affect all existing processes in the system except:
· Processes that have more file descriptors allocated than allowed by the new limit,
· Processes that have specifically set their limits through a call to setrlimit() or ulimit()."

The 1st one was ruled out, so it's likely the second one.

From the  Security Restrictions section of setrlimit() manpage

(See http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02254049/c02254049.pdf)

"Security Restrictions
Raising hard limits with the setrlimit call requires the LIMIT privilege (PRIV_LIMIT). Processes
owned by the superuser have this privilege. Processes owned by other users may have this privilege,
depending on system configuration."

It's quite likely that the 'racgimon' process you listed out has these privileges and has specifically raised it's hard-limits to a much higher value than the system defined limit.  It sounds like it's part of the Oracle RAC suite  -- you might probably want to check with your Oracle contacts/forums whether the process really needs those many open files or there is a bug in the RAC suite.

From the HP-UX kernel point of view, things are working as designed.

Kamaleshan
Occasional Advisor

Re: Kernel parameter maxfiles_lim showing more than 400%

Hi Santosh,

Two days before we done database switch over activity  from one server1 to another server2 ( server1 is having maxfiles_max issue ). After switchover the database to another server & i checked the maxfiles usage on server1 its in normal .  Now again we return the database on original server1 , After done this activity i checked maxfiles_max  its getting reduced on server1 , 

see the output of maxfiles_max -m & -d.

Even i rebooted the server also this problem not solved then how its getting reduced automatically?

Regards,

Kamaleshan C