3705 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Kernel Parameters

Tonatiuh
Super Advisor

Kernel Parameters

About HP-UX Kernel parameters:

1) How can I export to a text file, the formulas and values of all kernel parameters in v11.11.

2) Can I backup kernel parameters from v11.11 system and import them in a v11.23 system?

3) Can I still use formulas in kernel parameters in v11.23?
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

1) How can I export to a text file, the formulas and values of all kernel parameters in v11.11.

You can use 'kmtune' [which is replaced by 'kctune' on 11.23 and later].

> 2) Can I backup kernel parameters from v11.11 system and import them in a v11.23 system?

I don't believe that you can; nor would you want to do that.

> 3) Can I still use formulas in kernel parameters in v11.23?

Yes, but very often an understanding of the use of a particular parameter means that you can find a more optimal setting by directly fixing a value.

There is a good guide to kernel management in 11.11 and 11.23 here:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90950/index.html

Regards!

...JRF...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> 1) How can I export to a text file, the formulas and values of all kernel parameters in v11.11

As mentioned: kmtune > /tmp/myparms.txt

> 2) Can I backup kernel parameters from v11.11 system and import them in a v11.23 system?

You don't want to do that at all. Kernel parameters change, new ones are created, others are dropped, and possibly the units of measure may change.

What you want is the list of changed parameters. That is seen in the /stand/system file under the Tunable parameters section. Anything not mentioned in that file is set to the system default.

> 3) Can I still use formulas in kernel parameters in v11.23?

Formulas are a terrible way to set kernel parameters. If you need to change a parameter, convert it to a decimal number and adjust it. The kludge maxusers is meaningless and can set some parameters to outrageous values. They were simplistic assumptions made some 20 years ago and do not have much relevance today. The most common parameters that need to be changed are:

nfile
nproc
dbc_max_pct
maxdsiz
maxdsiz64
maxfiles_lim
npty
nstrpty
nstrtel

and specific to applications and databases, the semaphore and shared memory parameters.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

As an alternative and if you need to see MIN-MAX. values too :

# sysdef > /tmp/sysdef.190809

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> Hakki: # sysdef > /tmp/sysdef.190809

Do NOT use the out-dated 'sysdef'. If available, it's values may not match the correct ones returned by 'k[cm]tune'.

Regards!

...JRF...