1 yes / 4-5 times
2 b,e,d
3 the new names would help newbies
to identify paarmeters quicker
for the experienced guys it should be ok
4 Single command

Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Re: Kernel Wizards (SAM Quest Pt 2)

Hello,

1. almost never, but if i have to i use the command line

2. a Help section within SAM, man pages and a book/manual in this order.

3. i like those more "speeking" names as long as the old names still exist/work. I am used to some of the "old" names. But if i have to look for a parameter i don't know jet a more "speeking" name would be really helpful.

4. The GUI should have more funktions. Like marking all options which are not standard, and suggesting parameters for different scenarios. For a CLI i would like several commands with fewer options.

Regards Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Harri Muttilainen
Occasional Advisor

1. Maybe when building a machine, but I prefer command line.

b. A "Help" section within SAM
c. Online web help
e. Man pages

Do you think we should give tunables new names like these? Why or why not?

Yes, more descriptive names are always better.

- SEVERAL different commands with fewer options

a.+b.+g. grouped together
others as separate commands
c. Provide data...
d. Set thresholds/Generate...
e. Define groups/values...
f. Include/Exclude device...

Regards
Harri
That wasn't me! I didn't say that!
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

1) from time to time (3-5 in a year)
2) a,b,e
3) I got used to them... and find nothing as confusing as names that could be misundertood (the new names) I woulnd change them...
4) both, Im thinking of something like smit=> where to ho to LVM you type smitty lvm, or smitty chfs etc...

All the best
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi

---------------------------------------------
1. Do you ever configure Dump Devices under Kernel Configuration in SAM? How often?

No

2. How would you like to access documentation on kernel paramters (Choose your top 3 methods):

Man pages
Help in SAM
Book/manual ? with all implications/settings documented

3. HP is considering giving new names to the HP-UX kernel tunable parameters, since the existing names can be confusing. Examples include:
EXISTING NAME -----> NEW NAME

New names should be used being as descriptive as possible.

4. The Kernel Configuration area in SAM is going to change. It will have a CLI and a GUI (or a web interface). Tell us what type of CLI works best for YOU:

Single Command

HTH

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

1. Never used it, only through the command line.
2. Command line, man page, book/manual
3. I like the idea of the more descriptive names.
4. I prefer a CLI with many simple commands rather than few complex commands.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Manuel Plaza
Regular Advisor

Hi,

1. I have configured Dump Devices one or two times.

2. A book/manual, a "Help" section within SAM and man pages.

3. I think that is a good idea give more meaningfuls names to kernel parameters.

4. I prefer several simple commands. It could be a command for each point you have suggested.

Regards,

Manuel
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

1. Rarely (would use comand line)

2. e,b,a

3. new names may lead to confusion but if handled carefully/documented clearly should be
OK ?

4. Single command preferred.
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

1) I only configure dump devices as part of a cold install and never had to do it on any other occassion.

2) a,b,e - Because these will always be available via telnet, when you might not have access to manuals or a web interface.

3) new names sound good, but like it has already been said documentation by third parties could become confusing as it refers to the old names. However if someone is messing around with the kernel they should be experienced enough to be able to relate alias to the old names.

4)I'm always in favour of CLI, having worked on system where sam is screwed or working on systems which only have a minimal install (no sam) you need to know how to do things manually.

Single Vs Several commands - both have there options, but I would lean towards having several commands with few option. If you've ever tried to read the man page on 'mksf' for example you'll understand what I mean.

I don't know what form this should take, but something like viewing, updating perhaps group kernel parameters around usage i.e. user parameters = maxuser, maxuprocs.
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

1) Install OS only unless a machine changes purposes.

2) B (within SAM)

3) I think the new names would suck eggs! I like the old ones, and like the fact that you have to know what your doing before you start changing things around. Too many windows geeks would start slaughtering kernels with easy to understand names!

4) Single command with Gobs of options!

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?