Operating System - Linux
1753818 Members
8602 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Kernel: kjornald messages in /var/log/messages and dmesg, what are they?

TJ_16
Frequent Advisor

Kernel: kjornald messages in /var/log/messages and dmesg, what are they?

The following errors/alerts starting appearing my /var/log/messages a few days ago and I am not sure what they mean. Anyone have any ideas?

May 31 22:30:55 xxx kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
May 31 22:30:55 xxx kernel: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.11, 3 Oct 2001 on cciss0(104,33), internal journal
May 31 22:30:56 xxx kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
May 31 22:31:23 xxx kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
May 31 22:31:23 xxx kernel: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.11, 3 Oct 2001 on cciss0(104,40), internal journal
May 31 22:31:23 xxx kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
May 31 22:31:25 xxx kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
6 REPLIES 6
xyko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi TJ,

I think this message appears when you mount an EXT3 file system. Are you doing that ? Are you having any problem with file systems ?

Regards,
Xyko
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

I believe you are trying to mount some EXT3 file system (either through script or from bash prompt) in cciss0 device (smart array raid drive).

I believe these are informational messages and nothing to be worried. kjournald daemon prints out the journal commiting interval.

only debug messages.

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

This is just an informational message, dont worry. This happens when u mount a journaled file system ( ext3 for eg. ) . kjournald is the daemon for doing journaling in linux which will log a message when it see that a journaled file system is mounted and will start journaling for that fs.
Be Always Joy ......
TJ_16
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies... I am still a bit confused as from the OS side, we are not mounting/unmounting any EXT 3 file systems.
Could an application (tomcat or something) be causing these messages?
xyko_1
Esteemed Contributor

TJ,
I guess that if you are running automount some application may be mounting and unmounting a filesystem. Check if automount is running, check if there is some filesystem that is mounted "on demand" (you may see that on /etc/fstab). If you are running automount, when an application opens a file on a filesystem not mounted, automount mounts it, and when all files of that filesystem are closed then the filesystem is unmounted.

regards,
xyko

Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

xyko is correct, it could be automount problem.

another more likely reason could be, you are running some program which has some local loop back file systems (which is ext3) and the program is trying to mount that file system for some purpose. simple example of it can happen is
eg: mount loop-back-file.img /mnt/point -oloop

some of the loop back filesystems include initrd.img

so if you have done a kernel upgradation on that day which calls for initrd image recreation then this message could be from there.

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup