ps -ef | grep gzip

sybase 2844 1 0 Apr 4 ? 0:37 /opt/gzip/bin/gzip -c -3 /u01/sybase/calc

I tried 'kill' and kill -9'
8 REPLIES 8
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Kill command not responding

Hi:

When a 'kill -9' fails to work it's time for patience or a reboot. A process already waiting for an event such as an I/O is not going to receive a 'kill' signal.

Regards!

...JRF...
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I see that you are waiting for the magic answer to tell you how to kill this process, but sometimes you have to face the music and accept the unwanted. As James said, if this process is waiting for a signal or pending I/O that it is not receiving for whatever reason, there is no way that it can be killed (even with -9 signal), not even by root, short of rebooting the server. And it is not possible for one to say, remotely, why your process is hanging around.

Is /u01/sybase/calc and NFS mount that has gone stale? Or a local mount with a bad disk?
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,

When you are trying to kill the process what is the error message you are getting.

#kill -9 2844

Post the output

Suraj
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Suraj: When you are trying to kill the process what is the error message you are getting?

This should be obvious. Either you get nothing and the process is killed, or you get nothing and it isn't killed. Or some times I've seen kill -9, kill it some time later.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

You have 3 options now:
1) Ignore it if its harmless. That is, not using cputime or hogging to other resources.
2) If its wasting CPU, try to renice it to a least priority.
3) Reboot the system.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> Mel: I see that you are waiting for the magic answer to tell you how to kill this process, but sometimes you have to face the music and accept the unwanted.

Thanks, Mel! You took the thought right out of my head. Slay the messenger at all costs when the message isn't what you want to hear :-)

Regards!

...JRF...
gany59
Regular Advisor

ya i rebooted my server.thanks for ur response