1752507 Members
5555 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Kyocera FS-1020D Printer Setup

TTr
Honored Contributor

LPR mode uses port 515/tcp on the destination side. So you need to allow that port going from the server towards the printer on the firewals at each side of the tunnel.
sahaj bahra
Frequent Advisor

Yes 515 port is open.
TTr
Honored Contributor

With a VPN tunnel there is a firewall on each side, one on the server site and one on the printer site. Port 515 needs to be allowed outwards from the server to the printer on both firewalls. Also you need to have your firewall person monitor the packets and see if indeed the packets are going through or are getting dropped. It is not a simple configuration to open port 515 only. There are additional settings to allow port 515 from the printer to talk back to the server port. The server port is probably dynamic so the firewall should be configured for that. Having the firewall person say "it is open" is not enough.
sahaj bahra
Frequent Advisor

ok thanks ttr, i will get that checked.

Robert- Did the method of jetdirect work for you?
Robert Salter
Respected Contributor

I still haven't received a reply from the site. And I don't have any contacts there. The queue sent the job, just don't know 100% that it printed correctly.
Time to smoke and joke
sahaj bahra
Frequent Advisor

Robert- Even i tried with jetadmin now but still no success. Were you able to configure your kyocera properly?
sahaj bahra
Frequent Advisor

I managed to get this su!@#r finally work!! The trick was to find the default emulation that this printer was following which was confusing since the docs of kyocera are really misleading. It uses PCL6 HP Laserjet emulation by default. I added this printer by using jetadmin and gave HP Laserjet PCL6p.
sahaj bahra
Frequent Advisor

wish i could give myself some points!!