1752689 Members
5230 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LAN problem

Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

According to the network dude, it's set for auto negotiate. If this were the case, then I could not run ladadmin -S 1000000000, correct?
Should have been an astronaut.
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

anyone?
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There are few other things you need to check?

Is there any other device which doesnot support autoneg involved in between the switch and lan interface? Like hub or bridge.

Cable also should support 1000Mbps. otherwise you will not get 1000Mbps speed.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Our infrastructure team, and I changed cables, and ports on the switch...same result.
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

no hub or bridge between either.
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Ron,

Could you post the output of;

# what /stand/vmunix | grep iether

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am still doubting switch side settings. If you are sure that this card is 1000BaseT and autoneg is ON, try to use the port which is working in 1000Mbps in your environment.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Well...my network guy is adament on this issue. He is positive it's at 1000BaseT.

Here's the output of the iether
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I've got a network guy just like him! ;^)

Is there another server with a properly functioning GB NIC? Can you sneak into the switch room and connect this server to the port that is properly functioning? Or can you diplomatically ask him to show you the proof that this port is, indeed, set to auto-negotiate.

If the port is set properly, then the only other cause has to be between the port and the NIC and if there's no other hardware, then it has to be cabling. The next step is swapping out cables.

Pete

Pete
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

During the day it would take a Presidential decree, or an amendment to the constitution to move switch ports. Developers and the business community would be outside my door with torches and pitchforks. No sense of humour.

Our next maintenance window is 5/16, so we'll just have to limp along until then, or until I can get a 'special-window'.

I was just seeing if there was anything I could do ahead of that.