5053 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LDAP Client configuration - pcred file

Stefano_36
Frequent Advisor

LDAP Client configuration - pcred file

Hi to all,
I want to automatize the LDAP Client installation procedure. Can I use the same /etc/opt/ldapux/pcred file to copy it on each ldap client I want configure or must I re-generate it any time ?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Stefano,
Step 8, Point 2 of this document:
http://docs.hp.com/en/J4269-90049/ch02s07.html
"Copy the following files from a configured client to the client being configured:

/etc/opt/ldapux/ldapux_client.conf

/etc/opt/ldapux/pcred only if you have configured a proxy user, not if you are using only anonymous access

/etc/pam.conf

/etc/nsswitch.conf

cert7.db or cert8.bd and key3.db flles if SSL is enabled"
Don Mallory
Trusted Contributor

Technically, yes you can. I automated our install and it worked pretty well, however I found that it was more stable if I ran it myself. When just copying the file, on a couple of occasions, the file copied properly, was the same file, chksums were the same, etc, but no go.

My script now passes the password at time of installation. This just ensures that you don't start with a corrupt file. It does however require that you enter the password for the proxy user correctly. Since the password can't be changed or expired in the domain, I used a 63 character strong password.

One limitation is that HP-UX and Windows and their respective command lines have different limitations for which special characters are allowed.

You end up getting limited down to: !-=_+,.;:

Here's the section of my script:

# Get the LDAP Proxy User Password

EXITFLAG=0
LPROXPW=""

while [ "$EXITFLAG" -ne "1" ]
do
echo "\n\nEnter the LDAP Proxy User account password: \c"
read LPROXPW

if `echo $LPROXPW | grep ^$ > /dev/null`
then
:
else
EXITFLAG=1
fi
done

echo "Downloading the LDAP-UX Profile from the AD."

/opt/ldapux/config/get_profile_entry -s nss -D "CN=LDAP Proxy User,CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=ca" -w $LPROXPW

/opt/ldapux/config/ldap_proxy_config -v
/sbin/init.d/ldapclientd.rc start

Oh, one other thing. After bugging HP support for what type of encryption is used on this file, I had an answer of "it's secure and we aren't going to tell you", which translates to proprietary and therefore weak. If they were using a stong encryption method such as 3DES, AES-256 or other strong one-way encryption algorithm the would be willing to let you know what it was.

I've also found that the file size doesn't change no matter what the length of the password or proxy user account is.