New Discussion юеВ

Re: LP Spooler Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
SHRIPAD
Occasional Contributor

LP Spooler Problem

HI Experts,

I have a problem with my spooler. I have this RP4440 server to which I have copied the spooler configuration [/var/sam/lp] from another same config [rp 4440] server using SAM-LP Spooler-Save/Restore Configuration. There are approx. 30 servers but now when I am trying to print it automatically disables the printer everytime I give a print request . I mean, it shows the printer in ENABLE status but the moment I give a print request it disable that particular printer.

Any clues,,,,every suggestion would be rewarded.

thanx
5 REPLIES 5
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you restart the print spooler in verbose mode, you will get more detailed messages in /var/spool/lp/log, which may help you understand what is happening.

I had this happen once on a machine, but when I stopped and restarted the spooler in verbose mode, the problem never reoccured.

lpshut
lpsched -v

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Sounds like it didn't copy correctly....

Try it like so:

/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -S -v -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp/ ; cp -r -p /var/sam/lp/lp.new/* /var/sam/lp/

Tar up the /var/sam/lp dir and ftp to new server, and un tar it there and execute:

/usr/sam/lbin/lpmgr -R -xsavedir=/var/sam/lp/

Rgds...Geoff

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
sudheer_7
Advisor

Try this

Log_in as 'root' user to the source machine from which the queues to
are to be transferred. Change directory to /etc/lp/interface .tar the queues by executing 'tar -cvf /tmp/queues.tar *'.
Transfer the file '/tmp/queues.tar' to the '/tmp' directory of
destination machine (the machine to which the queues are to be
transferred) by executing the following commands.

ftp
login as root user
cd /tmp
bin
put /tmp/queues.tar
bye

Log_in to destination machine as 'root' user, and execute
transferqueue using command '/opt/hpnpl/bin/transferqueue'. If
necessary, set the default queue by executing the command 'lpadmin -d
Tvs
Regular Advisor

Hi Shri.

This problem may due to the permission problem .. the file permission should be ( lp and bin . pls check it in any other system ) . change the file permission as per that.

regards

tvs

Tvs
Regular Advisor

adding to the above..

while copying the files use cp -p or u can try with tar also .

regards

tvs