5043 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LSM move/rename self identifying partitions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Buri

LSM move/rename self identifying partitions

I posted an earlier version of my question as a response to someone with a similar issue below. After having looked around on the forum some more and continuing to play with the machine, I have realized my breach of etiquette and refined the problem a little bit. Hopefully opening my own thread makes up for the former, and I'll attempt to ask my refined question below ...

The situation:
- Tru64 version 1530 Release V4.0
- System тАЬdiskтАЭ is mirrored via LSM resulting in two plexes called rootvol-01 and rootvol-02 (on physical disks rz8 and rz9 respectively)
- LSM recently detached rootvol-02 from the volume
- rootvol-01 has a read error that prevents the system disk from being remirrored via typical restoration procedures such as тАЬvolplex attтАЭ or volassist.

IтАЩve been playing around with another system and here is what I came up with.
- I can get past the read error on rootvol-01 by using тАЬvolplex тАУo rerr cp rootvol rootvol-02тАЭ. This results in a viable copy of rootvol on rootvol-02.
- Before I use the volplex cp command, I have to disassociate rootvol-02 from rootvol тАЬvolplex dis rootvol-02тАЭ

After that I run into problems. If I try to finish this on the production system by reattaching rootvol-02 to rootvol, it will fail just as if I hadnтАЩt done anything different. So I have to shutdown and boot from the new disk, and this is where the fun starts.
(At the firmware prompt rz8=dkb0 and rz9=dkb100)
1) Specifying тАЬboot dkb0тАЭ from the firmware prompt doesnтАЩt work. When LSM starts, it realizes that rz9 isnтАЩt associated with rootvol and stops the boot process.
2) I can move the new disk from rz9 to rz8 and get it to boot: тАЬboot dkb0тАЭ. The idea of doing this doesnтАЩt bother me because once the mirror is reestablished I will replace the disk from rz8 anyway. However, doing so causes a small problem with the other partitions on the moved disk that prevent me from stripping all of the mirroring out and re-running volrootmir. If I boot into the OS and run тАЬvoldisk listтАЭ the problem is apparent.

Before moving a disk the device and disk columns of voldisk list match up:
DEVICE TYPE DISK
rz9a nopriv rz9a
тАж
rz9h simple rz9a

After moving a disk, the partitions that are of type simple are not aligned.
DEVICE TYPE DISK
rz9a nopriv rz9a
тАж
rz9h simple rz8a

From what IтАЩve read this is because nopriv disks are not self-identifying but simple disks are. I cannot find anyway to realign or remove this disk to allow mirroring. Everything I try says that the device is busy yet it isnтАЩt mounted and other than having a тАЬdmтАЭ LSM entry, I donтАЩt see it used in any subdisks or plexes.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can move on to the next step?
5 REPLIES 5
Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jason,

Did you try to remove the disk using "sysman"->"Storage"->"LSM Administration"->"LSM Administrator". Do give a try that way.

Thanks,
Srikanth
Jason Buri

Srikanth,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want to remove the disk ... it needs to be in LSM. I just wanted to rename it so I could mirror to a new disk. (volrootmir -a rz9 fails when it sees that the disk in rz8 is called rz9).

Thanks,
Jason
Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Jason,

When you get into single user take a look at the output of "hwmgr view dev" and

use dsfmgr -m

to rename the disk.

Thanks,
Srikanth
Jason Buri

Srikanth,

Thanks. That's just what I was looking for.

Thanks again,
Jason
Jason Buri

Closed after solution provided by Srikanth:

dsfmgr -m