4155 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LVM2 Mirroring + Multipathing

benoit Bruckert
Honored Contributor

LVM2 Mirroring + Multipathing

Hello,
I'm trying to configure a production box with OS=SLES 10 connected to a SAN.
the system will be stored on a SAN disk wich works very well.
I added then multipathing (dm-multipath) and all is correct, if I remove a link i can still see the disk through another path ! For information, the HBA is a qlogic with dual port.
The second step is to have a mirror on the system (or any other logical volume).
I then used lvconvert on the system, and stored the copy in another disk (LUN). The goal is to have high availability and continue to work if a disk (LUN in this case) failed.
lvconvert worked great and the system is then mirrored .
To test the case, I disconnected 1 of the 2 LUN in way that even multipathing cannot access this lost LUN, and then, the system froze, I can still ping the server but that's all. I have no log of the failure.
I thought the trouble was on this mirror LVM, then instead of lvm mirroring, I tried the md RAID device. Configuration is a little bit harder, but after all, I had a mirrored disk with the system on it and multipathing under it. I did the same test as for LVM mirroring, and I had the same trouble ! The system is frozen !
Does anyone already built such a configuration . I E : SAN - multipathing - LVM2/mirroring and Linux ?
thanks in advance...
Une application mal pans├йe aboutit ├а une usine ├а gaze (GHG)
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I did that configuration, for multipath, I used the qlogic multipath enabled driver. I suggest you to stay with mdadm for RAID configuration and use LVM on top of it.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Brem Belguebli
Regular Advisor

Hi,
When you say no log of the failure, you should, at least, see timeout messages in your syslog if the disappeared LUN is being used.

When you disconnect 1 of the 2 LUNs, are you able to remain connected and type multipath -ll -v2 .

Do you get a result or the command just freezes and never returns ?

I did the same tests, and no such behavior happened.

I use DM-MP / md / LVM .

LVM mirroring is "bizarre", ie need for a third device for the logs, no way to resize a mirrored LV, etc...

Brem
benoit Bruckert
Honored Contributor

Thanks for these quick answers...
I'm OK to play with md, which is what i try first (before lvm mirroring). But the trouble I have is the same in both cases.
The system hangs , I can play with commands in memory but that's all, after a few seconds it's frozen (i think in case of any disk access)!! And after 2 hours I don't think there's a timeout. And of course no logs ! May be I should try this crash test on another disk than the system one , in order to have something in the log this time. But this will take me some time :). I'll check after the W.E..

Concerning the driver, i'm using the qla2xxx, but I've just check the documentation and there are some parameters in the BIOS setting to check. May be I have something wrong ?
Is there something specific in the driver to configure in order to manage multipathing/failover ?

If you have any other ideas , i accept all of them..

benoit Bruckert
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I tested this time a disk failure on a non system disk !
I had the system log which say that the disk is out of order, a message from multipath to inform the failing of the path to these disks !
I did some disks accesses to the other part of the mirror and the filesystem is still alive (lvm commands hang for a few minutes - but i have always accesses to the system). I made some cp on this filesystems, bring back the failed LUN and magically all is OK !
My question now is : What is the trouble with system volume group mirroring ?