1748280 Members
4164 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Lan interface not working

Peter Ko_2
Frequent Advisor

Lan interface not working

i have a HP9000 running HPUX 11.23. The ethernet interface is not pingable on its own subnet or anywhere. The only way i can access the box is through the management port. i can ping the inerface on its own when i am at he console; but unable to ping the gateway or anywhere. i replaced the cat5 cable and different port on the switch; still not working. i did an ifconfig lan0, looks fine.
Question here is:
1. is there a way to set auto negotiate or hard code the Ethernet interface on the HP9000 to 100 Mbps? i am not unix expert, please show me the command if there is any.
2. is there a way to run a diagnostics on the ehternet interface?
i checked the netconf file, it looks fine there also. this is a new box just set up and it was working before this happened.
Any input would be much appreciated. thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Lan interface not working

To force the interface to be 100FD, you would use the lanadmin command:

lanadmin -X 100FD 0

where the zero is the card's instance or PPA number - found with the lanscan command.

To make the change permanent, you would edit the appropriate config file which varies according to the drive associated with your card:

btlan hpbtlanconf
btlan0 hpeisabtconf
btlan1 hpbasetconf
btlan3 hpbase100conf
btlan4 hpgsc100conf
btlan5 hppci100conf
btlan6 hpsppci100conf

Pete

Pete
Jonathan Fife
Honored Contributor

You can change the NIC negotiation by using the lanadmin -X commands:
To set lan0 to 100 full-duplex
lanadmin -X 100fd 0

To set lan0 to 10 half-duplex
lanadmin -X 10hd 0

To set lan0 to auto negotiate
lanadmin -X auto_on 0

To see the crrent config of lan0
lanadmin -x 0

I would take a look at your routing tables -- netstat -r, see what default gateways you have. Also, take a look at the route entries in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf. Those will be the routes created when the network services are initialized upon boot. Check out the arp table to see if it is at least getting a MAC address for the gateway IP (arp -a). If not, you might have cabling issues. If all else fails, unplug the server and plug a laptop in, change the network settings appropriately, and see if IT can communicate.

HTH
Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Find out which card is plugged into LAN.

ioscan -fnClan which will show all of your network cards on the system.

lanadmin -x 0 will show you status of the LAN card. If you are not sure which one plugged-in then run this command for all LAN cards and whichever shows LINK active then use that card.

lanadmin -X 100FD 0 which will makes lan0 card to 100FD with autonegotiation off. You need to talk to network folks to make sure network switch port set to 100FD with auto negotiation off.
DCE
Honored Contributor

If you are not a unix expert, you can use SAM to configure the interface.

simply enter the command
sam
as root, and an interface will come up the will walk you through various aspects of modifying system paramemters. It is a quick to perform system changes.
spex
Honored Contributor

Peter,

This may be a hardware problem.

Just to be thorough, from the console:
# ifconfig lan0 unplumb
# ifconfig lan0 down
# ifconfig lan0 up
# ifconfig lan0 plumb

Next, from the console:
# /sbin/init.d/net stop
# /sbin/init.d/net start

If that doesn't solve the problem:

1) Is the link light on the NIC illuminated?
2) Using the same cable, can you make a different host join the network?

PCS
Peter Ko_2
Frequent Advisor

Thank you everyone's responses and insights.
I done some troubleshootings and came to a point that i suspected it is hardware problem. But in a last effort, I turned off everything, including unplugged the power cords from the unit; unplugged the Cat 5 cables from the unit. (the management port and the ethernet port). Cold boot. After these, i can connect to the box through ssh and response to ping on the Ethernet interface. The bad thing is I am not sure what went wrong. I will just let it run and see..