Operating System - Linux
1753971 Members
8149 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Large swap space on Integrity server

Philip Juels_1

Large swap space on Integrity server

We've got an rx4640 with 40GB of RAM and two 146GB drives. I intent to install RedHat AS v3 Update 5 onto the first drive and plan to use the second as a "cold mirror". If I follow the usual swap space rule of > 2xRAM, I'll have a swap partition of over 80GB. As this will be the largest partition on the drive, are there any caveats to this? Should I create smaller multiple swap partitions?

Thanks,

PJ
6 REPLIES 6
baiju_3
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Large swap space on Integrity server

Do you have any SAN attached , in that case you can add SAN disks as secondary Swaps.

There is no special advantage which you are going to get having multiple swap parition on the same physical disk.But if you can configure mulitiple swap spaces on different disk , in that case it will improve the I/O performance .

thx,
bl.
Good things Just Got better (Plz,not stolen from advertisement -:) )
Philip Juels_1

Thanks for the reply...

We do have a SAN (EVA-5000), but the rx4640 is not attached to it. It accesses data storage via NFS mount from the fileserver attached to the SAN.

But, you don't foresee any issues with a single locally mounted >80GB swap part? I was curious to know if there is a maximum swap size that I might bump up against.

PJ
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The larger the RAM, the less swap you need. For VLM machines, I used to use SWAP=RAM.

In VLM, SWAP sould not be used, and if is used, then again should be tuned to avoid the use.

The latest recommendation I know is to create swap space using multiple 2GB partitions. I did not found any information about if this restriction still exists for Integrity servers.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

From the Red Hat Installation manual for Itanium, is possible to see that the restriction of the 2 GB partition size for swap still applies.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ian Derringer
Regular Advisor

My Bad!! I did not have a chance to read the RH partitioning guidlines and I've created a huge primary swap file to 24GB. Ok, that's siad and done with. How do I undo what I did without shooting my self in a foot?? Should I create a new 2Gb swap file out on the SAN and delete the first primary (24Gb) swap file?

Thank you in advance.

Ian
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that you should create a new vdisk, partition as should be, an use this as swap and remove the other. Reboot.

You can use the other partition by creating a filesystem on it and mounting it.

I say this because you won't be able to create too many partitions at this point in that disk.