1752341 Members
5599 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Laserjet 4050 font issue

Jimemac70
Occasional Advisor

Laserjet 4050 font issue

Pretty new at HP-UX and unix in general so feel free to treat me with kid gloves when explaining a solution.

Here's my problem...

I've installed a network printer on my HP-UX 11.11 server, a Laserjet 4050N. Everything I print to it comes out in courier font. I printed the PS FONT list from the information menu to see what fonts are installed. Problem is I'm not sure what the "default" font is for HP-UX. Is there such a thing?

basically if I use the command "lp -d 'printername' filename", how does unix determine what font to use. Can I change that?

If the font is not in the PS FONT list on the printer, how do I install it?

Another thing I should note is that I downloaded and used the model script from HP's website. I believe the name was net_ljx or something along those lines.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

HPUX does little to nothing when printing to a printer. The default is whatever the default of the printer is unless it has been changed in the interface script or on the print command line.

If you read through ( typically at the top ) of the interface script you will see the options delivered with the interface. These can then be selected via the command line via the -o options.

The interface script is either /etc/lp/interface/PRINTER_NAME or /etc/lp/interface/model.orig/PRINTER_NAME depending on the type of printer setup.

ie. lp -dPRINTER file -o nb -o landscape -o c
with print with no banner, landscape, compresssed pitch
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Take a configuration self test print from the printer from the printer and look for the font details..In line printers it is easy to take it and not sure about this LJ
Jimemac70
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help.

From your information, I attacked it from the printer side of the issue, rather than looking at the Unix side. I figured out how to change the printer's default font from Courier to the one I wanted. Everything that prints to it now comes out as I want it.
Jimemac70
Occasional Advisor

Closing this thread, thanks again!!!
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

u forgot to give points