Operating System - HP-UX
1752574 Members
4616 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Latest HP CIFS Server, problems with interdomain trusts with Windows 2008 R2 DC´s

ERICH MAIERHOFER_1
Occasional Contributor

Latest HP CIFS Server, problems with interdomain trusts with Windows 2008 R2 DC´s

Hello All,

I´ve still a problem with the latest HP-CIFS implementation (3.0.30 based HP CIFS Server A.02.04.01) with interdomain trusts authentication.

Current Sitauation:
HP-UX11.31 HP CIFS Server A.02.04.01 + latest Kerberos. Joined to domain "A" which has already Win2008 R2 DC´s. Domain "A" has a trust to Domain "B".
Authentication from users in domain "A" to this CIFS-Server works well.
Authentication from users in domain "B" to this CIFS-Server over the trust are not working anymore.

Error Message:
[2009/12/06 19:29:42, 0] auth/auth_domain.c:domain_client_validate(256)
domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user xxx in domain "B" to Domain controller DC.W2K8R2.DOM. Error was NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER.
[2009/12/06 19:30:03, 0] rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_pipe_verify_schannel(354)
cli_pipe_verify_schannel: auth_len 56.

Looks for me like samba bug "* BUG 6697: Fix interdomain trusts with Windows 2008 R2 DCs.
"
Any clue how we can resolve this in the current HP-UX CIFS version ?

For me there is one workaround to set in the smb.conf the "password server = name of last W2K3 Server in Domain A" then it works, but very slow cause the latest Windows 2003 DC in Domain A is only reachable over a WAN link.
And also the server will get replaced soon.

My current config Files:
kr5.conf

[libdefaults]
default_realm = W2K8R2.DOM
default_tkt_enctypes = DES-CBC-MD5
default_tgs_enctypes = DES-CBC-MD5
#default_keytab_name = "WRFILE:/etc/krb5.keytab"
ccache_type = 2

[realms]
W2K8R2.DOM = {
kdc = dc.w2k8r2.dom:88
admin_server = dc.w2k8r2.dom
default_domain = dc.w2k8r2.dom
}

[domain_realm]
.w2k8r2.dom = W2K8R2.DOM
w2k8r2.dom = W2K8R2.DOM

smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = W2K8R2
realm = W2K8R2.DOM
server string = Samba Server
security = ADS
password server = dc.w2k8r2.dom
use kerberos keytab = Yes
load printers = No
domain master = No
disk quotas = Yes
delete readonly = Yes
allow trusted domains = yes

thanks for help
Erich
3 REPLIES 3
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

Re: Latest HP CIFS Server, problems with interdomain trusts with Windows 2008 R2 DC´s

Hi Erich,

Looks like you ran into a real bug, as you correctly indentified. I have entered an HP problem report for your case: QXCR1000995813. Just so you know, HP CIFS Server does not offcially support W2008R2 yet.

Your best tactic for a factory fix is to open a Response Center call and reference this QUIX, and then escalate the issue in an official capacity. As part of the call they could investigate potential workarounds (are you using winbind? It is not shown in your smb.conf).

FYI - you do not need the WRFILE in krb5.conf anymore. As of A.02.04 it is not needed. I have that documented in my whitepaper at: http://docs.hp.com/en/16322/CIFSUnifiedLoginV2.pdf. I need to revise the Kerberos whitepaper for that and other reasons, but have not finished it yet.

Eric Roseme
John Adelman

Re: Latest HP CIFS Server, problems with interdomain trusts with Windows 2008 R2 DC´s

You indicate a trust between domain "A" and domain "B".

Are you referring to the implicit trust between domains in the same forest, or, domains in different forests connected with a cross-forest trust?

If what I'm asking is unclear, domains in a single forest typically, but not always, share a common root namespace, e.g., a.company1.com and b.company1.com. With a cross-forest trust, you might have A.company1.com and B.company2.com.
ERICH MAIERHOFER_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello John,

It´s an cross forest trust.
Both domains are in different forests:
like:
Win2008R2 Domain is eg. A.company1.com
and Win2003 domain is eg. B.company2.com

br.
Erich