108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Legato report from host

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Legato report from host

My Legato software is configured in Windows. Whenever any backup completed/failed it gives notification in Windows application log.

How can I get the same notification from my HP-UX networker client box?
a warrior never quits
7 REPLIES 7
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

Re: Legato report from host

You can check in /nsr/logs on the client but it will probably either be empty or just contain some error messages. I've found the best source of job status is the Networker server itself. You can, for example, create a new notification to run a script after a savegroup completion which emails the details. My backup server is Windows and I use an email utility called Blat in a batch file as follows:

blat - -noh2 -s "savegroup results" -t

- Kevin
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

can you explain details ???
a warrior never quits
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

I'm assuming your Legato server runs on Windows and you'd like to get information on the backups for HP-UX clients. Instead of seeing the app logs on the backup server you can automatically run a job after the backup finishes to email all the saveset details. This allows for system admins on different OS environments to monitor backups for servers they support without necessarily having to check Windows. Let me know if that's helpful and if I understood the question correctly.
kevin_m
Valued Contributor
Solution

The notification can be created with the Networker (Legato) admin GUI. Here's some info regarding the syntax:

http://www.ipnom.com/Legato-NetWorker-Commands/nsr_notification.html

Here's the fields I used:

Event - Savegroup
Priority - Notice,Alert
Action - blat - -noh2 -s "savegroup results" -t

http://www.blat.net/194/
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Thanks kevin for your inputs.

Yeah, you are right and quite close to my point.

Actually i have a backup save group which is for a tar file backup. Whenever it finishes, networker generate a event to application event log. The log indicates for backup succeeded/failure notification. And it backup files from HP-UX client.

My point is I have created a savepnpc precmd and pstcmd script which runs accordingly. I want to integrate in the pstcmd script of backup succeed/failure notification (mail and SMS) to admins and the operations engineers. The scripts location is in HP-UX.

How can I get the application event notification from Windows Networker server to HP-UX?
a warrior never quits
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

There is a Windows command-line utility for querying application logs called psloglist
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897544.aspx
It can be used in a scheduled task to check the last X minutes for specific events.

However I think it would be easier to use the results from the save process on the client and check the output file. For example
save: /vol2/oracle/EXPORT/ 3633 MB 00:05:17 6 files

The savepnpc command should return 0 for a successful save but I have not used it to confirm that.
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Thanks Kevin, I have got my solution from Legato guides and make a solution and it works fine.
a warrior never quits