New Discussion юеВ

Linux backup options

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

Linux backup options

Hello:

I am looking for recommendation on methods, applications or tools for stripping disks in RH Linux. I have a workstation that supports up to 5 Hard Disks. I am currently only using 1 disk and would like to add another disk and dynamically backup the primary disk to it. Then if system primary disk fails I can simply reboot to the secondary disk. Do you have any recommendations as to how I can do this?

-S
Keep it Simple!~
5 REPLIES 5
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Linux backup options

If you've got that many disks in the workstation, then just software-raid 'em.

Get redundancy, and a performance boost, all in one go!
One long-haired git at your service...
Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Stuart, I am new to Linux can you explain how I would go about creating a sw-raid? Is there a tool or application that i would use to configure this?
Keep it Simple!~
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I agree with Stuart on using raid, but I would suggest a hardware raid if your system supports it. I assume it would if it has 5 disks. You will need to do a backup of your system before you setup a hardware raid. then restore it. Good to know info on backups can be found here:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO/
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

in fact, during the installation of RH there is an option to set this up during the install process.

all commands and funcky stuff will be done by the installer. if you still have the chance, i would reinstall and set it up from there.
Van den Broeck Tijl
Valued Contributor

As Dirk Dierickx, you can select this during the installation and all will be taken care of automatically. Also see this Howto: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

It will give you a pretty good idea how far you can go with software RAID. Imho the overhead you lose with software RAID is well outnumbered by its advantages such as portability in a workstation environment. Soft RAID is not controller dependable, which is not an issue in enterprise environments as you pay support contracts for those things, but workstation... I'd go for software.