9645 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linux server reboot every two month

jack Hu_1
Advisor

Linux server reboot every two month

Dear Sir:
I have HP Proliant BL460C server with Linux Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:32:02 EDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I found that it will reboot every two month.
Another server HP D380G5 with the same linux version.
They all have the same problem that server will reboot every one or two month.
Is there any suggestion or any experience about these kind of event.
thanks for your support.
Jack
13 REPLIES 13
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

More information is needed, the date and time of reboot, and any messages registered on /var/log/messages on that date.

Also, identify if it was caused by ASM for example because of an evironmental problem.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Don't you have any kind of cron job running performing that action? or any other job that could cause this due to a overflow, crash, etc ?

Regards,

Marco,
Just unplug and plug in again ....
Taifur
Respected Contributor

HI Jack,

This issue may be related with any hardware parts such as RAM, CPU.Pls check reseating RAM,CPU and check shutdown.log, syslog.

Rgds//
Taifur
jack Hu_1
Advisor

Dear Sir:
The reboot time is not regular.And there is no cronjob for re-start server.I don't see any error message on the message file at the reboot time.I just wonder that why the same linux version of the two server will have the same problem of auto-rebooting.
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

is there any cronjob running for it
can you post crontab -l output, thanks
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

I do not have your hardware software set up so could not tell you if this is also true for other system of the same "type/setup", and you may already have coved most of what I would look for but I would double check the following thinks on each system, try and narrow down your search and only record fact,before you jump to conclusions

at around crash time what do files in /var/log/* log on each system, make a compare list

Is there a pattern 'only on week days' never during week end ?... only on week end... never at night etc ..

also I would not limit myself to the system, (hardware and software) but would have a look at all surrounding environment, like perhaps the are there any other electrical appliance that would or could only run every 1,2 months and cause theses problems.

The above reply is vague, but we realy need more narrowed down informations before whe can get more specific...,

Keep at it, and report here, bets are we will be able to help.

Enjoy life.

Jean-Pierre Huc

Smile I will feel the difference
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

Do you have any PSP (Proliant Support Pack) or part of it installed? Some of the older version have problems and server hang/reboot.

regards,
ivan
Tim Towers
Occasional Advisor

Firstly I would look in /var/log/messages to see if you can see shutdown messages which would indicate that the reboot was a controlled event.

If everything seems normal and the restart has no warning then you could install kdump to see what state the kernel was in when it rebooted.

We have systems running RHES4 on x86_64 and they do not reboot without good cause.
Nuwan Alwis
Valued Contributor

Hi Jack,
I have installed same OS on same Blade server and i havent came across such a situation. The only thing which i dont do is installing the PSP unless if it is really necessary. wel this could happening due to a application malfunction, faulty hardware such as HBA or NIC.
if you could send us the /var/log/messages
we can find a clue for the course of the reboot. (note us when the reboot occur and time)
also make sure about the cooling system of both servers.

Run a smart-start offline diagnostic with about 8-10 iterations excluding disks. this will give you a confirmation about your hardware.

Good Luck..!