1753797 Members
7402 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linux system unable to see tape drives

Josh D Trutwin
Occasional Advisor

Linux system unable to see tape drives

Hi - my first post, bear with me. I inherited a large number of HP Linux systems recently at a university and we're having some trouble with our weekly full backups using Data Protector tossing out SAN path failures and locking up our linux file server. As part of the problem it seems that the system in question does not see our tape drives, so it is backing up over the NIC which is taking a very long time. So my first order of business is to figure out why the tape drives are not found.

System Specs:

HP Proliant Blade BL460c G6 - 1.82 firmware
OS RHEL 5.5 x86_64 - fully patched.
PSP 8.50

related RPM versions:

cpqacuxe-8.50-5.0
fibreutils-3.1-2
hpacucli-8.50-6.0
hpdiags-8.5.0-11
hp-fc-enablement-1.1-16
hp-health-8.5.0.23-23
hp-ilo-8.5.0-1.rhel5
hpmouse-1.2.0-96
hp-nx_nic-tools-4.0.526-2
hponcfg-3.1.0-0
hp_sansurfer-5.0.1b66-1
hpsmh-6.1.0-103
hp-smh-templates-8.5.0.13-15
hp-snmp-agents-8.5.0.17-19
hpvca-6.1.0-7
kmod-hp-nx_nic-4.0.526-2

HBA is 4gb QLogic QMH2562 Mezzanine card with firmware 5.03.02 (d5)

qla2xxx driver is from RHEL 5.5 - version: 8.03.01.04.05.05-k

We have 8 LTO-3 tape drives in an EML 245E enclosure that are presented to the system via our SAN Switch (HP StorageWorks 4/64 SAN Switch) by zoning them so the system can see them. This is what I was told by one of our SAN administrators anyway, I can't login to that switch.

Data Protector is version 6.11 - client RPMs:

OB2-CORE-A.06.11-1
OB2-CC-A.06.11-1
OB2-DA-A.06.11-1
OB2-MA-A.06.11-1
OB2-JAVAGUI-A.06.11-1
OB2-DOCS-A.06.11-1

The Data Protector application does not find any SCSI drives when it scans the linux server, so it backs up over the network.

So my main question is how do I get the linux server to see these EML tape drives as SCSI devices so we're not backing up over the network?

I'm attaching the report from hp-fc-enablement ql-hba-snapshot.sh -v -a. These appear to only be listing the generic scsi devices found.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information to help.

Josh
6 REPLIES 6
FLQ
Valued Contributor

Hi Josh,

can you check using "devbra -dev" if you see your drives?

If not, then I would suggest that you run "scli" and validate that you can see the drives(targets).

If you still dont see them, I suggest you check with the SAN admin that the zoning is correct.

cat /proc/scsi/scsi would show the targets also.

HTH
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Install lsscsi ("yum install lsscsi" if you don;t have it. If you do not see your LTO Drives and it was there before or claimed to have been there before -- check your SAN zoning, etc... It was likely unzoned to this server.

If it is indeed zoned and you can not see the drives -- Engage your SAN Surfer tools or HP's Fibreutils....

Hakuna Matata.
Josh D Trutwin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the tips, turns out it indeed was the zoning. I guess the system in question was rebuilt months ago and the zoning was set to the previous blade's HBA node/port numbers. Once that was fixed by the SAN admin, I ran hp_rescan -a and lsscsi and there they were. :)

Gonna close out the thread.
Josh D Trutwin
Occasional Advisor

FQL - you said:

"If not, then I would suggest that you run "scli" and validate that you can see the drives(targets)."

Is that the QLogic command line program? Where is that found? On HP's site or QLogic's? I think I found an RPM for scli 1.7.1-9 on qlogic's support site, will check that out....

Also, is it normal that I do not have a /proc/scsi/qla2xxx directory? A few HP QLogic docs reference that location.

Josh
FLQ
Valued Contributor

Hi Josh,

yes I was thinking about the command line utility of QLogic.

rpm -qa |grep -i scli

on my system gives

scli-1.7.1-23

Try "yum search scli". On my system I have the scli.i386 showing up.

We are not using HP QLogic drivers so I dont know if you should have an entry in proc for qla2xxx.

I have entries in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/qla2xxx though.

HTH

Josh D Trutwin
Occasional Advisor

Hrm - doesn't show up here:

# yum search scli
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
================================================================================================ Matched: scli ================================================================================================
ccid.x86_64 : Generic USB CCID smart card reader driver
pcsc-lite.x86_64 : PC/SC Lite smart card framework and applications
pcsc-lite-libs.x86_64 : PC/SC Lite libraries
tsclient.x86_64 : Client for VNC and Windows Terminal Server

I just downloaded that 1.7.1-9 RPM from QLogic and manually installed. Maybe you did as well? After installing it, it shows up when running "yum search scli" cause it's been installed. :)

Thx,

Josh