108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Login Session

SOLVED
Go to solution
juno2
Super Advisor

Login Session

There is limit of control the max. no. of login , how to increase the limit of the no. of login ( or how to change the no. of TTY that allow ? ) thx
11 REPLIES 11
Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi.

Check the files in /etc/security directory, namely access.conf and limits.conf.

As for the number of available PTY-s, it's hard-coded in the kernel.

CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256

So change it in kernel config and recompile your kernel.

G.
juno2
Super Advisor

hi Goran Koruga ,

I can't find the statement "CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT" in the files you said, is there other method to change the setting? thx.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Depending on which version of Linux you are using depends on how it is currently configured.

Out of the box, a RedHat system (v7+) is not limited (that I'm aware of) to the number of simultaneous logins.

This could however be achieved with an entry in /etc/security/limits.conf (if 'pam_limits.so' is used in the any of the login procedures).

As for psuedo tty's, assuming it's using /dev/pts/ style of tty's (default on anything over 2.2.16 or some such kernel), they will be dynamically created when required (the kernel defaulting at a maximum of 256 logins, RH ups this to 512).

If you need to up this value, you'll need to re-compile your kernel, tweaking the CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT value (up to a maximum of 2048).

Viewing /proc/tty/drivers (the pty_slave value) will show how many are configured, and are in use on the system (see kernel Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt for more details).

If this doesn't answer your question, please be more specific as to your needs.
One long-haired git at your service...
juno2
Super Advisor

If i just want to change the limit of telnet , is it change the file /etc/xinetd.d/telnet ? is it require to re-comile the kernel ? thx.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

The only thing you can change in /etc/xinetd.d/telnet is the value of 'instances'. If the value is missing, it means there is no limit.

What does the contents of /proc/tty/drivers say?
One long-haired git at your service...
juno2
Super Advisor

is it require to re-comile the kernel ? thx.
juno2
Super Advisor

After update /etc/xinetd.d/telnet , is it require to re-compile the kernel ? thx.
Sergejs Svitnevs
Honored Contributor

Try to enable the pam_limits module inside /etc/pam.d/login. Add the following to the end of the file:
" session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so "

Then locate limits.conf file under the /etc/security directory and change "maxlogins" options in the default policy.

Regards,
Sergejs
Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor

Ahh of course, I forgot about the xinetd part ;).

The CONFIG_... line is in part of the kernel config file. You only need to increase it if you really want to use more than 256 PTY-s.

G.